Understanding Mirages and Snell's Law for Exam Prep

• Thread starter cheddahchad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Snell's Law and the concepts of Total Internal Reflection and Mirages. The person is seeking clarity on these concepts, specifically asking for examples of TIR and how mirages occur. They receive explanations of TIR occurring in a pool and mirages being caused by the bending of light due to differences in air density.
cheddahchad
So I have an exam tomorrow, and I'm pretty clear on all the topics. However, I'm having a little trouble with Snell's Law. I understand the majority of it, but a few points are still unclear to me.

1.Total Internal Reflection- I understand the definition (sort of) but I can't picture an example

2. Mirages- I know it deals with total internal reflection but I'm unclear on how it occurs. Two example I would love to have explained are mirages by puddles in the street and mirages in the desert. Can someone help me understand these topics? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cheddahchad said:
So I have an exam tomorrow, and I'm pretty clear on all the topics. However, I'm having a little trouble with Snell's Law. I understand the majority of it, but a few points are still unclear to me.

1.Total Internal Reflection- I understand the definition (sort of) but I can't picture an example

2. Mirages- I know it deals with total internal reflection but I'm unclear on how it occurs. Can someone help me understand these topics? Thanks!

A good physical example of TIR is if you are in a pool underwater with a diving mask on -- if you look straight up you can see things above the surface of the water. As you look farther and farther to the side, you still see things above the surface of the water, until you reack the TIR angle, when you start seeing reflections of things under the surface of the water...

In easy terms:

total internal reflection is when the ray is refracted so hard it doesn't actually come out at all.

mirage is when warm air bends the light such that it takes a "curved" path and the light appears to be coming from the ground rather than the original object.

Thanks berkeman. That cleared up TIR a little bit.

Curl, thanks for the easy terms, but I was looking more as to the whole process. I should've said a mirage like a puddle in the street or a mirage in the desert.

cheddahchad said:
Thanks berkeman. That cleared up TIR a little bit.

Curl, thanks for the easy terms, but I was looking more as to the whole process. I should've said a mirage like a puddle in the street or a mirage in the desert.

Does this help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

It is the difference in density of air at the boundary with the hot air layer that gives the reflection (different density give different refractive index).

Related to Understanding Mirages and Snell's Law for Exam Prep

1. What is a mirage?

A mirage is a visual phenomenon that occurs when light rays are bent due to differences in air temperature. This creates an illusion of an object or scene that is not actually there.

2. How does Snell's Law relate to mirages?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, explains how light rays are bent when they pass through a medium with a different density, such as air. This is what causes the bending of light that creates mirages.

3. What is the cause of temperature differences that create mirages?

The temperature difference that creates mirages is typically caused by a warm layer of air near the ground and a cooler layer of air above it. This temperature gradient causes light rays to bend, creating the mirage.

4. Can mirages be seen in any location?

Mirages are most commonly seen in desert or arid environments due to the extreme temperature differences. However, they can also be seen in other locations with significant temperature differences, such as over hot pavement on a sunny day.

5. How can understanding mirages and Snell's Law be helpful for exam preparation?

Understanding mirages and Snell's Law can be helpful for exam preparation as it demonstrates the practical application of scientific principles in real-world situations. It also requires an understanding of key concepts in physics, such as optics and temperature differentials, which may be tested on exams.