Understanding Miller Indices: Decoding Notation in Scientific Literature

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding the notation used after the (h,k,l) numbers in Miller indices. The speaker has searched for explanations and sources but has been unable to find a clear answer. Finally, a link is provided that discusses the notation and its meaning in relation to crystal planes.
Entropia
I am new to understanding Miller indices (its never been covered in a class that i have taken etc) and there is a notation that i am seeing in the scientific literature that i don't understand. -Its the notation used after the (h,k,l) numbers. here are a few examples (I put in bold print the bit that I don't understand):

Ge(100)-2 x 1

Ge(111)-2 x 8

S/Ge(111)-2 x 2

I have looked at various intro to miller indices type of sites, but none of them make any mention of what the notation means after the (h,k,l) notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that it is the offset in the unit cell. If I find a link I'll edit it in, but let me just give the justification for the need for this sort of thing.

As an example, consider NaCl. The (001) surface is always parallel, but its chemical composition could be either a plane of sodium atoms, or a plane of Chlorine atoms.

Nope, it turns out that the N x M defines a surface that violates the crystal symmetry in a N x M pattern. Here's a link:

"Real Surfaces"
http://www.cem.msu.edu/~cem924sg/LectureNotes.html

Thanks for the learning.

Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply.

I am still confused though. The explanation in the miller indices section of the link only talks about simple miller indices notation, and the notation for stepped surfaces (not so simple).

I did not find anything that fits the pattern for the miller indices notation that i am extremely confused about.

Or, did I miss something?

Thanks! :)

Miller Indices!

Help!

I have searched through countless sites and I have yet to find an explanation on this.

I have come across some Miller Indices notation (in the scientific literature) that I do not understand and its torturing me to not be able to understand! Below are a few examples, I don't understand the bit that I put in bold:

Ge(100)-2 x 1

Ge(111)-2 x 8

S/Ge(111)-2 x 2

Can anybody explain to me what that part of the Miller Indices notation means, or point me to a source that explains it?

Miller indices - http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/surfaces/scc/scat1_1b.htm

The 2x1, 2x8 and 2x2 are not Miller indices. What is the source of these numbers?

Also - http://www.gly.uga.edu/schroeder/geol6550/millerindices.html

http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ch/resources/xtal/miller.html

Here is a discussion of (2x1) and (2x2) surfaces with use of Miller indices - http://alpdmn.phys.psu.edu/LEED.html

It appears to be a different way of discussing a group of atoms in a crystal plane.

Last edited by a moderator:
the last link is the kind of thing i was looking for!

thank you SO MUCH!

i understand what it meant by that notation now.

Please note that, per our Guidelines, multiple post of the same topic is not allowed.

This thread has been merged.

Zz.

Related to Understanding Miller Indices: Decoding Notation in Scientific Literature

1. What are Miller indices and why are they important in scientific literature?

Miller indices are a notation system used in crystallography to describe the orientation of crystal planes within a crystal structure. They are important in scientific literature because they provide a standardized way of communicating the arrangement and orientation of atoms within a crystal, which is crucial for understanding the physical and chemical properties of materials.

2. How do Miller indices work and how are they interpreted?

Miller indices are determined by finding the intercepts of a crystal plane with the three axes of a crystal coordinate system. These intercepts are then inverted, reduced to the smallest integer values, and written within parentheses as (hkl). The indices represent the relative spacing and orientation of the planes within the crystal lattice, with higher indices indicating closer planes and lower indices indicating more widely spaced planes.

3. Why is the notation for Miller indices sometimes different in different sources?

The notation for Miller indices may vary slightly in different sources due to the use of different coordinate systems or conventions. For example, some sources may use square brackets instead of parentheses, or may use a different axis order. However, the fundamental principles behind Miller indices remain the same and can be easily converted between different notations.

4. What is the significance of the parentheses in Miller indices notation?

The parentheses in Miller indices notation indicate that the numbers within them represent a set of indices, rather than individual numbers. This is important because it shows that the indices are interrelated and describe the orientation of a specific plane within the crystal lattice, rather than just individual numbers.

5. How can I use Miller indices to determine the crystal structure of a material?

By using X-ray diffraction techniques, the diffraction pattern of a crystal can be analyzed to determine the Miller indices of the planes within the crystal lattice. These indices can then be used to construct a 3D model of the crystal structure, allowing for a better understanding of its properties and behavior. Additionally, the Miller indices can also be used to identify the type of crystal system and lattice type of a material, providing further insight into its structure and properties.