Understanding Mediators and Contact Interactions in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mediators in quantum-mechanical calculations and their association with the four fundamental interactions. It also explores examples of contact interactions and the need for a more complete definition or explanation to identify them.
eraemia
Hello everyone, I am kind of new to this forum. If this post belongs elsewhere, please tell me, thanks.

1. What are mediators? Are they particles? Why does the four fundamental interactions each have one or more associated mediators? Moore (my textbook's author) writes: “Each interaction as one or more associated mediators that represent the interaction in quantum-mechanical calculations (what does this mean?). These calculations imagine a pair of particles interacting by exchanging mediators in a way that usually makes the mediators undetectable even in principle (I don’t understand this at all)” (11). So, the book also tells me that strong nuclear interaction associates with gluons (8 types); electromagnetic with photons; weak with vector bosons; and gravitational with graviton.

2. What are examples for each of the following contact interactions: friction interactions (which oppose the relative motion of the objects in contact); compression interactions (which seek to keep them from merging); and tension interactions (which oppose their separation) (Moore 13). The book gives no explanation as for how to identify these contact interactions. There are some examples, but I need a more complete definition or explanation or each so I am able to identify when these interactions occur.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Physics news on Phys.org
eraemia said:
Hello everyone, I am kind of new to this forum. If this post belongs elsewhere, please tell me, thanks.

1. What are mediators? Are they particles? Why does the four fundamental interactions each have one or more associated mediators? Moore (my textbook's author) writes: “Each interaction as one or more associated mediators that represent the interaction in quantum-mechanical calculations (what does this mean?). These calculations imagine a pair of particles interacting by exchanging mediators in a way that usually makes the mediators undetectable even in principle (I don’t understand this at all)” (11). So, the book also tells me that strong nuclear interaction associates with gluons (8 types); electromagnetic with photons; weak with vector bosons; and gravitational with graviton.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you just right now. At this level you can just treat knowledge of all those silly particles as tidbits of worthless trivia.

2. What are examples for each of the following contact interactions: friction interactions (which oppose the relative motion of the objects in contact); compression interactions (which seek to keep them from merging); and tension interactions (which oppose their separation) (Moore 13). The book gives no explanation as for how to identify these contact interactions.

He gives explanations in the parenthesis. For example, friction interactions (oppose relative motion of objects in contact)... like when Mr. Miyagi in the movie "The Karate Kid" rubs his hands back and forth together really fast to generate heat to heal Daniel-Son. That's friction. Two things rubbing on each other. That's what "relative motion of the objects in contact" means.

There are some examples, but I need a more complete definition or explanation or each so I am able to identify when these interactions occur.

Thanks for everyone's help!

eraemia said:
That's...somewhat helpful, thanks. But it doesn't help me solve any of my homework questions!

That's nice, because I don't really care about your homework problems.:wink:

I wish you good luck, sir.

Related to Understanding Mediators and Contact Interactions in Quantum Mechanics

1. What are "interactions" in science?

"Interactions" in science refer to the relationships and connections between different elements, substances, or forces that affect or influence each other in a system or environment.

2. Why are interactions important in scientific research?

Interactions play a crucial role in scientific research as they help scientists understand the complex relationships between different variables and how they affect the outcome of an experiment or study. Without considering interactions, it is difficult to accurately interpret and analyze scientific data.

3. How do scientists study interactions?

Scientists study interactions by designing experiments that manipulate and control variables, and then observe how they affect each other. They also use mathematical models and statistical analysis to determine the strength and significance of interactions.

4. What are examples of interactions in different scientific fields?

In biology, examples of interactions include predator-prey relationships, symbiotic relationships between organisms, and the interactions between genes and the environment. In chemistry, interactions can refer to chemical reactions between substances. In physics, interactions can refer to the forces between objects, such as gravity or electromagnetism.

5. How can understanding interactions benefit society?

Understanding interactions can help us address complex issues and challenges in various fields, such as healthcare, environmental sustainability, and technology. By understanding how different elements interact, we can make informed decisions and develop solutions that consider all the factors at play.