Understanding Mass-Energy Equivalence to Fdx and dm in E=mc^2

In summary: There is a nice step by step integration guide included as well. In summary, if you are integrating Fdx, you would use the chain rule to integrate both sides, and if you are Differentiating d(mc^2), you would use the product rule.
rrrright
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with this equation.

[tex]Fdx &= dm c^2 [/tex]

First of all, excuse me for my limited knowledge of calculus, but how exactly can you just use the numerator of a derivative? What do Fdx and dm mean if they are not in respect to anything? Do they simply mean a change in x and a change in m?

Secondly, I have seen this equation used to get to E=mc^2 through integration. How exactly do we integrate either side of this equation? What is the step by step process for doing this? Again, please excuse my limited math knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Splitting the derivatives is technically not kosher in math; however, physicists do it all the time. I think there are probably weird pathological functions (such as discontinuous everywhere functions or some such) where splitting the derivative will lead to the wrong answer, but physics usually only deals with well behaved functions. Usually something like dx just means a small displacement in x.

You can immediately integrate that expression to obtain W=mc^2. Integrateing Fdx gives you the work and integrating d(mc^2) just gives you mc^2 back (sorta like the fundamental theorem of calculus).

rrrright said:
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with this equation.

[tex]Fdx &= dm c^2 [/tex]

First of all, excuse me for my limited knowledge of calculus, but how exactly can you just use the numerator of a derivative? What do Fdx and dm mean if they are not in respect to anything? Do they simply mean a change in x and a change in m?

Secondly, I have seen this equation used to get to E=mc^2 through integration. How exactly do we integrate either side of this equation? What is the step by step process for doing this? Again, please excuse my limited math knowledge.

Hi, welcome on board!

For the answers, look at the first file in my blog. It explains the differentiation as well as the physics you are asking about.

Related to Understanding Mass-Energy Equivalence to Fdx and dm in E=mc^2

1. What is the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence states that mass and energy are two forms of the same underlying quantity, and that they can be converted into each other according to the famous equation E=mc^2.

2. How does the equation E=mc^2 relate to mass-energy equivalence?

The equation E=mc^2 is the mathematical representation of mass-energy equivalence, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. It shows that mass and energy are directly proportional to each other, and that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

3. What is Fdx and how does it relate to mass-energy equivalence?

Fdx is a measure of force multiplied by distance, and it relates to mass-energy equivalence by showing the relationship between force and energy. In order to convert mass into energy, a force must be applied over a distance, which is represented by the Fdx term in the equation E=mc^2.

4. How does dm factor into the concept of mass-energy equivalence?

dm, which stands for change in mass, is a crucial factor in mass-energy equivalence. It represents the small amount of mass that is converted into energy, and it is what allows us to understand how a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of mass-energy equivalence?

Mass-energy equivalence has had a significant impact on the fields of physics and technology. It has been used in nuclear energy and weapons, medical imaging and treatments, and even in space travel. It also plays a role in understanding the formation and evolution of the universe.