Understanding Magnetic Dipoles: Forces and Equations Explained

In summary, there is a discussion about magnetic dipoles, specifically current loops with an area and carrying a current. The magnetic dipole moment is expressed as both a scalar and a vector, with useful properties such as torque and energy in an external field. The force between two dipoles drops off with the 4th power of the distance, and there is a net force on a dipole from a varying magnetic field. To develop a net force, the field must be varying in space.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
here seems to be some interest in magnetic dipoles, such as spinning electrons, and current loops. So I thought I would start a thread and present some of the relevant equations that describe the forces and fields generated by magnetic dipoles. These equations are very similar to those for electric dipoles, BTW.

A current loop with an area A and carrying a current i has a
magnetic dipole moment of [tex] \mu = i A [/tex]. The dipole moment is sometimes expressed as a vector [tex] \vec{\mu}[/tex] in which case the vector is perpendicular to the area A.

Some useful properties of the diople moment are given below

Torque generated by an external field [tex] \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Energy in an external field [tex] -\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}[/tex]

Field from dipole at distant points along axis |B| = [tex] \frac {\mu_0}{2 \pi} \frac {\mu}{r^3}[/tex]

Field from dipole at distant points along bisector |B| = [tex]\frac {\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac {\mu}{r^3} [/tex]

Field from dipole, vector form [tex] \vec{B} = \frac {\mu_0 \mu}{4 \pi r^3} (2 cos(\theta) \vec{r} + sin(\theta) \vec{\theta})[/tex]

Net force on dipole from a constant magnetic field zero

Net force on a dipole from a varying magnetic field [tex] \nabla (\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}) [/tex]

Note that the force between two dipoles will drop off with the 4th power of the distance - as the field generated by a dipole is proportional to 1/r^3, the gradient of the field is proportional to 1/r^4, and the force will be the dipole moment multiplied by the field gradient.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
Net force on dipole from a constant magnetic field zero

Net force on a dipole from a varying magnetic field [tex] \nabla (\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}) [/tex]

"Constant" or "varying" usually means w.r.t. time. I think here you mean w.r.t. space, so common usage is "uniform" or "non-uniform".

krab said:
"Constant" or "varying" usually means w.r.t. time. I think here you mean w.r.t. space, so common usage is "uniform" or "non-uniform".

Yes, that's what I mean. To develop a net force, one needs the field to be different at the two ends of the dipole, which means that the field must be varying in space.

Related to Understanding Magnetic Dipoles: Forces and Equations Explained

1. What is a magnetic dipole?

A magnetic dipole is a pair of poles, a north and a south, that are separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental unit in magnetism, and all magnetic materials have magnetic dipoles at their atomic or molecular level.

2. How are magnetic dipoles created?

Magnetic dipoles are created when there is an imbalance of electrons in an atom or molecule. This can happen naturally in some materials, or it can be induced through external magnetic fields.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic dipole and an electric dipole?

A magnetic dipole is created by the separation of two poles, while an electric dipole is created by the separation of positive and negative charges. Additionally, magnetic dipoles interact through magnetic fields, while electric dipoles interact through electric fields.

4. How do magnetic dipoles interact with each other?

Like poles of magnetic dipoles repel each other, while opposite poles attract each other. The strength of this interaction depends on the distance between the dipoles and the strength of their individual magnetic fields.

5. What is the equation for the magnetic dipole moment?

The equation for the magnetic dipole moment is given by µ = I * A, where µ is the dipole moment, I is the current flowing through the loop of wire, and A is the area of the loop. This equation is known as the Biot-Savart law and is used to calculate the magnetic field strength at a given point around the dipole.