Understanding Magnet Wire: Differences and Uses

In summary, "magnet wire" is a colloquial term for insulated solid copper wire that is commonly used in inductive devices. It has a polymer film insulation that can withstand high temperatures and is very thin, making it ideal for experiments where closely coupled conductors are needed. It is also sometimes referred to as enameled wire, which can either have a self-fluxing enamel for direct soldering or a tougher enamel that needs to be scraped off.
eq1
What is "magnet wire"?

I have a test procedure I am trying to follow and it calls for "two strands of twisted magnet wire." I know it is referring to something like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZW4&P=FR

I know the transmission line characteristics of twisted wire and why one would do this when making a measurement but my question is: What makes "magnet wire" different from common insulated solid copper wire? This is the first time I ever saw this magnet wire term.

I looked at this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_wire

And it seems like this is just a colloquial term for insulated solid copper wire because people often use this wire type when making various inductive devices despite all the details in the wikipage. Is this right or am I missing something important? If so, I get the abbreviation because insulated solid copper wire is a mouth full and repeatedly typing it kind of sucks too.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The second article from wikipedia really describes it well. Magnet-wire has a polymer film insulation that can withstand 250C temperatures which while high is the heated environment in a transformer winding and ordinary plastic insulation would melt causing an unwanted short.

One advantage is the insulation is very thin - so for a transmission type experiment, the physical distance between the conductors may be critical to the effect being studied - i.e. the conductors will be very closely coupled.

Got it. Thanks for the replies guys.

Wire for winding transformers and magnets would usually be 'enameled'. The insulation can cope with quite high temperatures and it packs tightly. You can either get it with an enamel which allows you to solder to it directly ('self fluxing' iirc) or a tougher enamel which needs to be scraped off (one brand name was Lewmex, I think). As it happens, I bought some of this the other weekend.

Related to Understanding Magnet Wire: Differences and Uses

1. What is magnet wire?

Magnet wire, also known as winding wire or enamelled wire, is a type of wire that is coated with a thin layer of insulation to prevent the wire from short circuiting and to improve its electrical properties. It is commonly used in electromagnetic devices such as motors, transformers, and generators.

2. How is magnet wire different from regular wire?

The main difference between magnet wire and regular wire is the insulation. Magnet wire has a thin layer of enamel insulation, whereas regular wire usually has thicker plastic insulation. This makes magnet wire more suitable for use in high-temperature and high-voltage applications.

3. What are the different types of magnet wire?

There are three main types of magnet wire: enameled round wire, enameled rectangular wire, and fibrous covered wire. Enameled round wire is the most common type and is used in a variety of applications. Enameled rectangular wire is often used in high-voltage applications, and fibrous covered wire is used in applications where the wire may be exposed to vibration or high mechanical stress.

4. How is magnet wire made?

Magnet wire is typically made from copper or aluminum. The wire is first drawn through a series of dies to reduce its diameter, then it is coated with a thin layer of insulation, such as enamel or polyurethane. The wire is then heated to cure the insulation, and finally, it is cooled and wound onto spools for use in various applications.

5. What are the properties of magnet wire?

Magnet wire has several properties that make it ideal for use in electromagnetic devices. These properties include high electrical conductivity, low resistance, high heat resistance, and good insulation. Magnet wire is also flexible and can be easily wound into coils, making it suitable for use in motors, transformers, and other devices.