Understanding Mach's Principle and the Existence of Objects in the Universe

• Thread starter KendallAngel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a machine that shields interactions between an object and the universe, and whether something must continually interact with the universe to exist according to Mach's principle. This topic is being discussed in a physics forum.
KendallAngel
"Imagine a machine which is a box with a door. Place an object in the box, shut the door, and the machine shields all interactions between the object and the universe. When I open the box, what will I see? Will it be the same thing I would see if I had placed nothing in the box before closing the door?
For something to exist it must continually interact with everything else in the universe. This is Mach's principle."

This comment was made in a physics forum , that's true?
source: http://lofi.forum.physorg.com/Do-Things-Exist-When-The-Are-Not-Perceived_20591.html?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
KendallAngel said:
For something to exist it must continually interact with everything else in the universe. This is Mach's principle."

Mach's principle is rather imprecise - I read somewhere there are at least 21 versions.

The above however is not one I recall.

Certainly QM does not demand it although some interpretations suggest something along those lines.

Thanks
Bill

Bhobba's answer pretty much says it all. This thread is closed, as there is no need to debate claims based on an unacceptable reference. We can usefully discuss the historical significance of Mach's Principle, but that's not this thread.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Mach's Principle and the Existence of Objects in the Universe

1. What is Mach's Principle?

Mach's Principle is a concept proposed by physicist Ernst Mach that suggests the existence and behavior of objects in the universe are influenced by the distribution of matter in the entire universe. It states that an object's inertia is determined by the gravitational interactions with all other matter in the universe.

2. How does Mach's Principle explain the existence of objects in the universe?

Mach's Principle suggests that the existence of objects in the universe is a result of the gravitational interactions between all matter in the universe. The distribution of matter affects the behavior and inertia of objects, ultimately leading to their existence and movements.

3. What evidence supports Mach's Principle?

There is currently no definitive evidence that fully supports Mach's Principle. However, some observations in cosmology, such as the large-scale structure of the universe and the cosmic microwave background radiation, are consistent with the predictions of Mach's Principle.

4. How does Mach's Principle relate to the theory of general relativity?

Mach's Principle is not explicitly included in the theory of general relativity, but it can be seen as a possible interpretation of the theory. The idea that the distribution of matter in the universe affects the behavior of objects is similar to the concept of gravitational fields in general relativity.

5. Are there any alternative theories to Mach's Principle?

Yes, there are alternative theories that attempt to explain the existence of objects in the universe without relying on Mach's Principle. Some theories propose that the presence of dark matter is responsible for the behavior of objects, while others suggest that the laws of physics themselves determine the behavior of objects.