Understanding Longitudinal Waves: Regents Exam Question with No Correct Answer

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation is about a question in physics class that has no valid answer choice. After further research, it is suggested that the correct answer is (2) - the wavelength is equal to the distance between A and C. This is based on the measurement of a longitudinal wave by measuring the distance between compressions or rarefactions. It is also supported by a sketch of a corresponding transverse wave. The person is worried about their physics final the next day.
Qube
Gold Member
http://min.us/lcyfgi

My physics teacher told the class that this question had no valid answer choice (none of the choices were right).

After further research at home today, I think the answer is (2) - or the wavelength is equal to the distance between A and C, as

Physics Classroom said:
In the case of a longitudinal wave, a wavelength measurement is made by measuring the distance from a compression to the next compression or from a rarefaction to the next rarefaction.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/u10l2a.cfm

Help - I have my physics final tomorrow :eek:!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like A and C are both descending nodes, which would mean 2 is a correct choice.

A sketch of the corresponding transverse wave leads to the same answer.

Related to Understanding Longitudinal Waves: Regents Exam Question with No Correct Answer

1. What is a Regents exam?

A Regents exam is a standardized test that is administered to high school students in the state of New York. It is used to assess their knowledge and understanding in various subject areas, such as math, science, English, and social studies.

2. Who is required to take the Regents exam?

All high school students in the state of New York are required to take the Regents exam in order to graduate. However, students with disabilities may be eligible for accommodations or exemptions.

3. What subjects are covered on the Regents exam?

The Regents exam covers a wide range of subjects including Algebra, Geometry, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics, English, Global History, US History, and Government. The specific subject areas vary depending on the student's grade level and course selections.

4. How is the Regents exam scored?

The Regents exam is scored on a scale of 0-100, with a score of 65 or above considered passing. The score is based on a combination of multiple-choice and open-ended questions, and the exact scoring method varies for each subject.

5. What happens if a student fails the Regents exam?

If a student fails the Regents exam, they have the opportunity to retake it. In most cases, students are given multiple chances to retake the exam before graduation. However, if a student fails the exam multiple times, they may be required to complete additional coursework or alternative assessments in order to graduate.