Understanding Lissajous Curves for Fourier Synthesis

In summary, the conversation revolves around using Fourier synthesis to recreate the shape of an ellipse, represented by a wing moving in a circular motion. The speaker explains that they analyze the fundamental frequencies and harmonics of their x and y data using FFT, and use the real and imaginary parts as coefficients for cosine and sine functions. However, when they plot the resulting functions against each other, they get a lissajous curve instead of the desired ellipse. They wonder if there is a different way to plot cosine and sine functions to recreate the original shape.
Sam Smith
i have a question about Fourier synthesis and how this relates to lissajous curves.

I have two sets of test data; spatial data in the x and y directions. When I plot the x data against the y I get an ellipse. ( it represents a wing moving in a circular motion)

I am trying to recreate this shape by means of Fourier synthesis. To do this I look at the fft of my x and y data and get information about the amplitudes of the fundamental frequencies along with harmonics presents in both data sets. The real part I use as the coefficient of my cos and the imaginary as the coefficient of my sin.

And so I say

X(t) = a1* cos(2*pi*f*t) + b1* sin( 2*pi*f*t)

And

Y(t) = aa1* cos(2*pi*f*t) + bb1*sin( 2*pi*f*t) + aa2* cos(4*pi*f*t) + bb2*sin( 4*pi*f*t)

(There was just one peak in the x data and two peaks in the y)

However when I then plot x against y I get a lissajous curve. As I would expect as I am plotting sine waves against sin waves. How can I recreate the original shape? Must I somehow plot cos and sin differently?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Understanding Lissajous Curves for Fourier Synthesis

1. What are Lissajous curves?

Lissajous curves are complex mathematical curves that are created by plotting the motion of two perpendicular oscillating systems. They are named after French mathematician Jules Antoine Lissajous, who first studied them in the 19th century.

2. How are Lissajous curves used in Fourier synthesis?

Lissajous curves are used in Fourier synthesis to generate complex waveforms by combining multiple simple harmonic waveforms. By adjusting the frequency and phase of the oscillators that create the Lissajous curves, different waveforms can be created.

3. What is the relationship between Lissajous curves and the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical tool that breaks down a complex waveform into a series of simple harmonic waveforms. Lissajous curves are used to visualize and understand this relationship between the different harmonic components.

4. Can Lissajous curves be used to create any type of waveform?

Yes, Lissajous curves can be used to create a wide variety of waveforms by adjusting the frequency and phase of the oscillators. They are particularly useful for creating complex and unique waveforms that cannot be easily produced with traditional sound synthesis techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lissajous curves and Fourier synthesis?

Lissajous curves and Fourier synthesis have many practical applications in fields such as music, engineering, and physics. They are used to generate audio signals in electronic music, analyze the motion of physical systems, and even tune musical instruments. They are also used in signal processing and telecommunications to analyze and manipulate complex waveforms.