Understanding Limits: Explaining Left and Right Limits in Simple Terms

• MHB
  • Thread starter Poly1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is about understanding limits, specifically the notation \displaystyle \lim_{x \to a^{+}}f(x) and \lim_{x \to a^{-}}f(x). The speaker is looking for a simplified explanation and mentions encountering the epsilon delta method. The expert summarizer explains that the plus notation means approaching the value from the right and the minus notation means approaching from the left. They give an example of approaching 3 and mention that sometimes the two limits can be different due to jump discontinuities or one side going to infinity while the other side doesn't. The conversation ends with the expert summarizer providing an example for the listener to try.
Poly1
Could someone explain what things like [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 3^+}\frac{1}{x}[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 3^-}\frac{1}{x}[/tex] are supposed to be?

I googled and it gave me epsilon delta stuff. I'm not smart enough for that. (Doh)

I guess I'm asking if anyone could give a dumbed down explanation of sorts. :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Poly said:
Could someone explain what things like [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 3^+}\frac{1}{x}[/tex] and [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 3^-}\frac{1}{x}[/tex] are supposed to be?

I googled and it gave me epsilon delta stuff. I'm not smart enough for that. (Doh)

I guess I'm asking if anyone could give a dumbed down explanation of sorts. :D

Plus means approaching 3 from the right so 3.1, 3.01, 3.001 etc
I bet you can guess what minus means.

Why did you start with 3.1?

Poly said:
Why did you start with 3.1?

It isn't really a starting point. I was just emphasizing approaching from the right. We could start at 100 but the goal is to approach 3 and get really close to 3. Really close as in 3.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

Thanks. Did I read that sometimes [tex]\lim_{x \to a^{+}}f(x)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \to a^{-}}f(x)[/tex] can be different? How's that?

Poly said:
Thanks. Did I read that sometimes [tex]\lim_{x \to a^{+}}f(x)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \to a^{-}}f(x)[/tex] can be different? How's that?

That is true. You can have jump discontinuities or one side going to neg inf and the other to pos inf.
Look at the Heaviside Function has an example

Here is an example you can try:
$$
\lim_{x\to 1}\frac{x^2 - 2x - 3}{x-1}
$$
You need to check the left and right limit.

Related to Understanding Limits: Explaining Left and Right Limits in Simple Terms

1. What is the definition of a limit from above and below?

A limit from above and below, also known as a two-sided limit, is the value that a function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a specific point from both sides.

2. How is a limit from above and below different from a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input variable approaches from one side, while a limit from above and below considers the behavior from both sides of the point.

3. Can a function have different limits from above and below at the same point?

Yes, a function can have different limits from above and below at the same point if the function has a discontinuity at that point, such as a jump or a vertical asymptote.

4. How do you determine the limit from above and below of a function at a specific point?

To determine the limit from above and below, you can use the concept of approaching from both sides or use the formal definition of a limit, which involves evaluating the function at values that are increasingly closer to the specific point.

5. What are some real-life applications of limits from above and below?

Limits from above and below are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze real-world situations. For example, in physics, limits are used to calculate velocity and acceleration, while in economics, limits are used to analyze supply and demand curves.