Understanding Light Polarization: Clearing Up Confusion for Better Comprehension

In summary, polarization of light is the direction of the electric field vector. If the electric field is confined to a single direction, the light is said to be 'linearly polarized'. Of the electric field traces out a circle, the light is 'circularly polarized'. There's also elliptical polarization states and 'randomly polarized' (sometimes called unpolarized) light. Given a spatially extended electromagnetic wave, 'polarization' has implications for coherence and is also a statistical measure of the EM field.
abid220
Hey all,

Polarization of light is still confusing for me :-( i read a lot but i couldn´t clear my concept . can anybody of yous explain...

I would be very thankful.

Best regards
Abid

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Abid! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Light is a vibration.

If the vibration is in a particular plane, then it is polarised in that plane (which will be perpendicular to the direction of the light)

If the vibration "spirals" round, then it is circularly or elliptically polarised.

abid220 said:
Hey all,

Polarization of light is still confusing for me :-( i read a lot but i couldn´t clear my concept . can anybody of yous explain...

I would be very thankful.

Best regards
Abid

The polarization of light is defined at the instantaneous direction of the electric field vector. If the electric field is confined to a single direction, the light is said to be 'linearly polarized'. Of the electric field traces out a circle, the light is 'circularly polarized'. There's also elliptical polarization states and 'randomly polarized' (sometimes called unpolarized) light. Given a spatially extended electromagnetic wave, 'polarization' has implications for coherence and is also a statistical measure of the EM field.

Any(*) polarization state can be decomposed into two orthogonal states: vertical and horizontal linear states, right- and left-handed circular states, s- and p- states, etc.

(*)-the light must be completely polarized, not partially or unpolarized.

Does that help?

Many thankx..for your answer...
Actually, i m new to optics, and it very difficult for me to imigine theoritically and experimentally... could you please give us some simple example to imigine...
we are working on Ellipsometer, which apply polarize light on the material and than check it change in polarization, in order to study the material

http://www.molecularexpressions.com/optics/lightandcolor/images/polarizationfigure1.jpg

Does this help?

abid220 said:
Many thankx..for your answer...
Actually, i m new to optics, and it very difficult for me to imigine theoritically and experimentally... could you please give us some simple example to imigine...
we are working on Ellipsometer, which apply polarize light on the material and than check it change in polarization, in order to study the material

It's not clear if you are having problems with the optics concepts, or the matter-EM interaction.

The classic text is "ellipsometry and polarized light" by Azzam and Bashara. But in general Jones matrices suffice to describe the interaction- read up on those.

Related to Understanding Light Polarization: Clearing Up Confusion for Better Comprehension

What is light polarization?

Light polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field component of a light wave as it travels through space. This can be either linear, circular, or elliptical, and is determined by the direction in which the wave oscillates.

What causes light to become polarized?

Light can become polarized when it is reflected, refracted, or scattered by certain materials such as glass, water, or crystals. This causes the light waves to align in a specific orientation, resulting in polarization.

What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization occurs when the electric field oscillates in a single plane, while circular polarization occurs when the electric field rotates in a circular motion. Linear polarization can be either horizontal or vertical, while circular polarization can be either clockwise or counterclockwise.

How does polarization affect the quality of light?

Polarization can affect the intensity and direction of light. When light is polarized, it can be filtered or blocked by certain materials, which can be useful in applications like polarized sunglasses. Polarization can also affect the quality of images, as it can reduce glare and improve contrast.

What are some real-world applications of understanding light polarization?

Understanding light polarization is crucial in many fields, including photography, telecommunications, and astronomy. It is also used in technologies such as LCD screens, 3D movies, and optical filters. In the medical field, polarization can be used for imaging and detecting cancerous tissues.