Understanding Lift & Wings: Upscaling Data for Real Planes

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of wings and their production of lift force. The speaker has measured the influence of various factors, such as the angle of attack and speed of air, and is now questioning how these data relate to real wings on planes. They have read about Bernoulli's law and have a basic understanding of the Reynolds number, but are still unsure of its connection to lift force.
Dennis U
Hi guys,

I'm working on a project for school and I have measured the influence of the angle of attack, the wingspan and the speed of the air on the lift force the wing is producing. Now I have the question what these data say about real wings from planes. I've already red it has something to do with the Reynolds number, but I can't link the Reynolds number on the lift the wing produces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dennis U said:
Hi guys,

I'm working on a project for school and I have measured the influence of the angle of attack, the wingspan and the speed of the air on the lift force the wing is producing. Now I have the question what these data say about real wings from planes. I've already red it has something to do with the Reynolds number, but I can't link the Reynolds number on the lift the wing produces.

Welcome to the PF.

What reading have you been doing about wings so far?

I've red about Bernoulli's law and I understand why wings don't fall out of the sky. I know the Reynold's number is defined as the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces.

Related to Understanding Lift & Wings: Upscaling Data for Real Planes

1. What is lift and how does it work?

Lift is the force that enables an aircraft to stay in the air. It is generated by the wings as they move through the air and is a result of the difference in air pressure above and below the wing.

2. How is data upscaled for real planes?

Data is upscaled for real planes using a variety of techniques such as wind tunnel testing, computer simulations, and flight testing. These methods allow scientists to analyze and understand the complex aerodynamics of wings and how they interact with different types of air flow.

3. What factors affect lift on a wing?

The main factors that affect lift on a wing include the shape and size of the wing, the angle of attack (the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming air), and the speed and density of the air.

4. How does understanding lift help in designing more efficient planes?

Understanding lift is crucial in designing more efficient planes as it allows scientists to optimize the shape and size of the wings to generate the most lift. This leads to better fuel efficiency and improved performance of the aircraft.

5. Are there any limitations to upscaling data for real planes?

While upscaling data for real planes has advanced significantly in recent years, there are still limitations. These include the complexity of air flow, the accuracy of simulations, and the cost and time involved in conducting wind tunnel and flight tests. Scientists continue to work on improving these methods to better understand and design wings for real planes.