Understanding laser phenomenon

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with deleting a thread and thanking UltrafastPED for sharing a helpful video about laser grids. They discuss how the light pattern in the video resembles what the person is seeing and they plan to set up a similar experiment to further investigate. The person expresses their gratitude for the video recommendation and mentions that any grid projection would work for their experiment.
skeenan
For some reason, can't delete this thread... thank you, UltrafastPED, the below video was very helpful!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Watch this video on how a laser grid works:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will, thank you!

Yes, it does resemble what I'm seeing, as far as the movement of the light pattern. I am hoping to prove it out further, if we can set everything up again and "recreate" it by having someone walk through and compare any differences.

Thank you for pointing me to the video, I had been looking for one that showed what a person would look like moving through the grid.

Last edited:
Any grid projection would work ... a bright light in a box and a grid with holes!

I am always fascinated by the study and understanding of natural phenomena, including laser phenomenon. The concept of lasers has been around for over 60 years, and yet we are still discovering new applications and advancements in this technology.

In order to understand the phenomenon of lasers, we must first understand the basic principles of light and how it behaves. Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in waves at a constant speed. The wavelength of light determines its color, and the energy of the light is determined by its frequency.

Lasers, or Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, work by amplifying and focusing light waves in a specific direction. This is achieved through a process called stimulated emission, where photons of light are emitted in phase with each other, creating a concentrated beam of light.

One key aspect of lasers is their ability to produce a single, pure color of light. This is due to the fact that the photons in a laser beam have the same wavelength and frequency, unlike natural light sources which emit a range of frequencies. This makes lasers incredibly useful in a variety of applications, from telecommunications to medical procedures.

In the video provided by UltrafastPED, we can see the different types of lasers and how they work. It is important to note that not all lasers are the same, and each type has its own unique properties and uses. Some lasers produce continuous beams of light, while others produce short pulses of light.

In conclusion, understanding laser phenomenon is essential in unlocking the full potential of this technology. With ongoing research and advancements, lasers will continue to play a crucial role in various fields and industries, improving our lives and pushing the boundaries of science.

Related to Understanding laser phenomenon

1. What is a laser?

A laser is a device that produces a narrow and intense beam of light through a process called stimulated emission. It stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

2. How does a laser work?

A laser works by stimulating atoms or molecules to release photons of light. These photons are then amplified as they bounce back and forth between mirrors inside the laser until they are released as a coherent and focused beam of light.

3. What is the difference between a laser and a regular light source?

The main difference between a laser and a regular light source is the coherence and intensity of the light produced. Unlike regular light sources, a laser produces a single wavelength of light that is in phase and has a specific direction, making it much more powerful and precise.

4. What are the applications of lasers?

Lasers have a wide range of applications in various fields such as medicine, communication, industry, and research. Some common uses of lasers include laser cutting, laser printing, laser eye surgery, laser communication, and laser spectroscopy.

5. Are lasers harmful?

Lasers can be harmful if not used properly. They can cause eye damage and skin burns if the beam is directed at a person. It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective gear when working with lasers.