Understanding Kirchoff's Law and Solving Circuit Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current I3 in a circuit using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. The person is struggling to get the correct answer and is seeking help to understand where they are going wrong. The expert advises them to pay attention to the direction of the current and adjust the mathematical sign accordingly when walking around the circuit.
Pochen Liu

Homework Statement

upload_2018-11-5_12-29-56.png

How do I calculate the current I3?

Homework Equations

I know that I1 = I2 + I3
and that I2 = 0.4

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have a voltage source of 3.7V I would've thought that the equation for a clockwise circuit be
0.4R2 - 3.7 - 200I3 = 0 which gives me an answer of -0.0183 when it should be 0.0187

How am I using the law wrong and how can I prevent doing so in the future?

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-5_12-29-56.png
    upload_2018-11-5_12-29-56.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org
Pochen Liu said:
So we have a voltage source of 3.7V I would've thought that the equation for a clockwise circuit be
0.4R2 - 3.7 - 200I3 = 0 which gives me an answer of -0.0183 when it should be 0.0187

How am I using the law wrong and how can I prevent doing so in the future?
You need to pay attention to the direction of the currents as you do your "KVL walk" around the circuit. For example, ##I_3## is flowing down through ##R_3##, so as you "walk over" ##R_3## going clockwise around the circuit you'll see a rise in potential.

gneill said:
You need to pay attention to the direction of the currents as you do your "KVL walk" around the circuit. For example, ##I_3## is flowing down through ##R_3##, so as you "walk over" ##R_3## going clockwise around the circuit you'll see a rise in potential.
Is this because if I go 'walk over' instead of using the voltage it will add? since it's coming from the other direction, therefore I need to change it's mathematical sign around right?

Pochen Liu said:
Is this because if I go 'walk over' instead of using the voltage it will add? since it's coming from the other direction, therefore I need to change it's mathematical sign around right?
Right, you need to account for the current directions. If you "walk" in the same direction of the current you'll see a potential drop across the resistor. If you "walk" against the direction of the current you'll see a potential rise.

Likes Pochen Liu

Related to Understanding Kirchoff's Law and Solving Circuit Problems

1. What is Kirchoff's law?

Kirchoff's law, also known as Kirchoff's circuit laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis used to calculate the voltage and current in a circuit. These laws are based on the conservation of energy and charge, and are commonly used in electrical engineering and physics.

2. What are the two laws in Kirchoff's law?

The two laws in Kirchoff's law are the Kirchoff's current law (KCL) and Kirchoff's voltage law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must be equal to zero. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops and gains in a closed loop in a circuit must also be equal to zero.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's law in a circuit?

To apply Kirchoff's law in a circuit, you must first identify all the nodes and closed loops in the circuit. Then, use KCL to write an equation for each node, setting the sum of currents equal to zero. Use KVL to write an equation for each closed loop, setting the sum of voltage drops and gains equal to zero. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of voltage and current in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's law be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's law can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit, or a more complex network of interconnected components. These laws hold true for both DC and AC circuits.

5. What are the limitations of Kirchoff's law?

Kirchoff's law assumes ideal conditions, such as negligible resistance in wires and perfect components. In reality, these conditions do not exist, and there may be some errors in the calculations due to these discrepancies. Additionally, Kirchoff's law is based on linear circuits, so it may not be applicable to non-linear circuits.