Understanding Kinematic Viscosity Units

In summary: In summary, the conversation discussed the units associated with kinematic and dynamic viscosity. Dynamic viscosity (η) is measured in Pascal seconds (Pa s) and can be calculated using the formula η = F/A / (velocity (m/s) / gap distance (m)). Kinematic viscosity (ν) is measured in square meters per second (m2/s) and can be calculated using the formula ν = η / ρ, where ρ is the mass density in kg/m3. When converting to cgs units, 1 cP (centipoise) is equal to 0.001 Pa s, and 1 Stokes is equal to 0.1 Poise. In order to obtain centist
richard9678
I don't understand units associated with kinematic viscosity.

Let's recap dynamic viscosity (η):

η = Shear stress (τ) / rate of shear strain (m/s)/m)

η = F/A / (velocity (m/s) / gap distance (m))

η = Force( N) / Area (m2) / (velocity (m/s) / gap distance (m))

Stress (F/A) is pressure, Newtons per metre squared, so unit is Pascals. When you cancel the two m's out in the divisor, you are left with:

η = N/m2 or Pascals / s (Pascal Seconds).

The equation to convert dynamic viscosity to kinematic velocity is:

ν = η / ρ

ν = η N m-2 s / ρ Kg m-3

I get this. The numerator is saying Newtons per square meter (pressure in Pascals) per second (Pascal seconds) and the divisor is saying Kg per cubic metre)

Since 1 Kg = N m-1 s2, this simplifies to dimensions of m2 s-1

I don't get how things simplify.

I know that the Stoke is the unit, and it's a unit of position and time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 stoke is 1 centimeter squared per second. I'm having difficulty in conceptualising what that means.

Velocity is metres per second.

Acceleration is meters per second per second.

ν = η / ρ is relating shear characteristics (dynamic viscosity) to fluid acceleration (mass density).

Still trying to conceptualise the stoke as a dimension.

The SI unit of kinematic viscosity is m2/s.

The cgs physical unit for kinematic viscosity is the stoke.

Last edited:
Actually, right now I could do to concentrate on using the formula correctly.

ν = η / ρ

The answer needs to be in centistokes.

How the heck to get centistokes.

An oil might have a dynamic viscosity of 0.25 Pascal Seconds.

The oil might have a mas of 900Kg per cubic meter.

Okay, ν = η / ρ = 0.250 / 900 = 0.00027.

The answer is wrong for centistokes. 270 or 27 might be about right. I must figure out why I'm not getting the right answer.

I think the numerator might be 106 larger than it should be.

Stokes are in CGS units. Might be a clue.

Last edited:
richard9678 said:
1 stoke is 1 centimeter squared per second. I'm having difficulty in conceptualising what that means. <snip>

It is a little tricky, to be sure- viscosity can be thought of as 'diffusion of momentum':

http://www.quora.com/How-is-viscosity-the-diffusion-of-momentum

As a practical matter, I find it best to consistently simplify the units into MLT (rather than Pa, N, kg, etc...) to make sure everything works out.

Last edited by a moderator:
ν = η / ρ

Before I go to bed:

For centistokes.

I think η needs to be in centipoise (1 cP = 0.001 Pa second) and ρ in g /cm-3.

Where η is 0.25 Pacal seconds, and ρ 900 Kg / m-3, I think the answer should be 27 centistokes.

Last edited:
OK. I'm going to do this in cgs units, which are the units that I like to work with. I leave it up to you to convert to metric.

Force: ##dynes=\frac{gm-cm}{sec^2}##

Stress and Pressure: ##\frac{dynes}{cm^2}=\frac{gm}{cm-sec^2}##

Velocity: ##\frac{cm}{sec}##

Velocity gradient: ##\frac{cm}{sec-cm}=\frac{1}{sec}##

Dynamic Viscosity: ##Poise=\frac{dynes}{cm^2-sec}=\frac{gm}{cm-sec}##

Dynamic Viscosity: ##centipoise = 0.01 Poise##

Density: ##\frac{gm}{cm^3}##

Kinematic Viscosity: ##Stokes = \frac{Poise-cm^3}{gm}=\frac{dynes-cm}{gm-sec}=\frac{cm^2}{sec}##

Kinematic Viscosity: ##centistokes=0.01Stokes##

Hope this helps.

Chet

Let me see if I can get this.

Up till now, all my physics calculations are worked out using SI units. That means I'm entering meters, Kg and seconds. I do this for working out dynamic viscosity η.

But, now I've come across a formula to work out centistokes (a unit of kinematic viscosity) from dynamic viscosity and mass, which is a unit worked out using cgs units.

Therefore I must make changes when using the equation ν = η / ρ.

Lets take ρ, mass first. 900Kg per m-3 in SI units is 900. So, what's that in cgs? 1 x cm-3 is 106 times smaller than m-3. So, in cgs 900Kg becomes 9 x 10-4Kg. Were still in Kg, so, to show in grams we must multiply by 103. So, our figure should be 0.9g cm-3

Correct I think so far.

The issue now is what units should be being used for η.

I believe it is true, that the dynamic viscosity for engine oil will be in the tenths of a Pascal-second range.

To work out kinetic viscosity in stokes we would enter the POISE for η. A poise is 0.1 Pascal-second.

But, we need to work with centistokes. So, we need to be working in centipoise that is 1 x 10-2 of a Poise (cP).

1 cP is therefore 10-3 times a Pascal second.

Going back to our original equation: ν = η / ρ = 0.250 / 900 = 0.00027.

η should be in cP therefore 250. ρ should be in g / cm-3 therefore 0.9.

ν = η / ρ = 250 / 0.9 = 277.7 centistokes (kinetic viscosity).

I think that is correct.

So, if you get η in Pascal-seconds, from earlier calculations, you have to multiply η by 1000, when using the formula to obtain centistiokes.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Kinematic Viscosity Units

1. What is kinematic viscosity?

Kinematic viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow under gravity. It is defined as the ratio of the dynamic viscosity (a measure of a fluid's internal friction) to its density.

2. What are the units of kinematic viscosity?

The units of kinematic viscosity are typically expressed in square centimeters per second (cm^2/s) in the metric system and square feet per second (ft^2/s) in the imperial system.

3. How is kinematic viscosity different from dynamic viscosity?

Kinematic viscosity is the ratio of dynamic viscosity to density, while dynamic viscosity is a measure of a fluid's internal friction. This means that kinematic viscosity takes into account the density of the fluid, while dynamic viscosity does not.

4. How is kinematic viscosity measured?

Kinematic viscosity can be measured using a viscometer, which measures the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a capillary tube. The longer it takes, the higher the kinematic viscosity of the fluid.

5. Why is kinematic viscosity important in fluid mechanics?

Kinematic viscosity is important in fluid mechanics because it affects the rate of flow and the behavior of fluids. It is used to characterize different types of fluids and is often used in calculations involving fluid dynamics and heat transfer.