Understanding Josephson Oscillations: Solving for the Second Derivative of Theta

In summary, the problem is that you forgot to add a term to the numerator of the fraction in the second term of the equation. This term is needed to properly differentiate the cosine function. Once you add this term, the equation becomes correct.
CMJ96

Homework Statement

rYzhDCL.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

Sorry about this, I had to put this into wolfram alpha as for some reason it would not work in latex

bAHu0uw.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming Ec and Ej are not dependant on time, I have differentiated the first term in equation 10 with respect to time, and replaced the relevant terms with equation 9. The second term I have differentiated the fraction containing N's using the expression in the "relevant equations" section . This has resulted in the following expression

$$ \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = -E_c E_J \left(1-N^2 \right)^{\frac{1}{2}} sin(\theta) - \frac{E_{J}^2 sin(\theta) cos(\theta)}{1-N^2} $$
Can someone help me figure out why I am missing a factor of ##1/(1-N^2) ## in the first term and a factor of ##1+N^2## in the second term? My equation looks similar but I appear to have missed a step

Attachments

• rYzhDCL.png
    rYzhDCL.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 750
  • bAHu0uw.png
    bAHu0uw.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 637
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears you forgot the derivative of the ##\cos \theta## term when you took the derivative of eq. (10).

I see, would I have to apply the product rule to the second term in order to differentiate the ##cos \theta ## properly?

$$\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}= -E_c E_J (1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2} } sin \theta - \frac{E_J ^2 sin \theta cos \theta
}{1-N^2} + \frac{E_J N sin \theta } {(1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} }$$

CMJ96 said:
I see, would I have to apply the product rule to the second term in order to differentiate the ##cos \theta ## properly?
Yes, properly, meaning
$$
\frac{d}{dt} \cos \theta = -\sin \theta \frac{d \theta}{dt}
$$

DrClaude said:
Yes, properly, meaning
$$
$$
Ahhhh yes, silly mistake... now I'm getting the correct second term (I just have to use the trig identity to tidy it up) , the only issue is that the first term is slightly wrong, I can't see how I can get the ## (1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} ## as a denominator

$$\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = -E_c E_J (1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} sin \theta - \frac{E_J E_c N^2 sin \theta}{(1-N^2)^{1/2}} - \frac{-E_J ^2 (1+N^2) sin \theta cos \theta}{1-N^2} $$

Last edited by a moderator:
CMJ96 said:
Ahhhh yes, silly mistake... now I'm getting the correct second term (I just have to use the trig identity to tidy it up) , the only issue is that the first term is slightly wrong, I can't see how I can get the ## (1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} ## as a denominator
Then you seem to have still forgotten a term. When calculating
$$
$$
the ##\frac{d \theta}{dt}## should bring a term in ##E_C##, which eventually will modify the term in ##E_C E_J## in your equation for ##\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}##.

DrClaude said:
Then you seem to have still forgotten a term. When calculating
$$
$$
the ##\frac{d \theta}{dt}## should bring a term in ##E_C##, which eventually will modify the term in ##E_C E_J## in your equation for ##\frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}##.
Ah yes, sorry, I forgot to include the 4th term in my reply, I have added it now, the denominator should be ##(1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} ## but for some reason latex won't display it

CMJ96 said:
Ah yes, sorry, I forgot to include the 4th term in my reply, I have added it now, the denominator should be ##(1-N^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} ## but for some reason latex won't display it
I fixed it for you.

You now simply have to combine the two ##E_C E_J## terms into one and you'll be done.

DrClaude said:
I fixed it for you.

You now simply have to combine the two ##E_C E_J## terms into one and you'll be done.
I've got it now, thank you very much for the assistance!

Related to Understanding Josephson Oscillations: Solving for the Second Derivative of Theta

1. What are Josephson Oscillations?

Josephson Oscillations are a phenomenon in which a supercurrent flows between two superconductors that are separated by an insulating barrier. This occurs due to the quantum tunneling of Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons bound together by attraction. The oscillations refer to the periodic nature of the current as it flows back and forth between the two superconductors.

2. How are Josephson Oscillations measured?

Josephson Oscillations are typically measured using a Josephson junction, which is a device made up of two superconductors separated by a thin insulating layer. The junction is placed in a circuit and the voltage across the junction is measured. The periodic oscillations in the voltage indicate the presence of Josephson Oscillations.

3. What is the significance of Josephson Oscillations?

Josephson Oscillations have a number of important applications in areas such as metrology, quantum computing, and high-speed electronics. They also provide valuable insights into the behavior of superconducting materials and the effects of quantum tunneling.

4. What factors affect the frequency of Josephson Oscillations?

The frequency of Josephson Oscillations is primarily determined by the Josephson coupling energy, which is dependent on the properties of the superconducting materials and the insulating barrier. Other factors such as temperature, magnetic fields, and current can also affect the frequency.

5. Can Josephson Oscillations be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, Josephson Oscillations can be controlled and manipulated by varying the external conditions such as temperature, magnetic fields, and current. In addition, recent research has shown that these oscillations can also be controlled using light, providing potential applications in optoelectronics and quantum information processing.