Understanding Ising Cell Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation model of a uniaxial ferromagnet using a Hamiltonian equation with spin variables for center and nearest neighbor cells. The difference between the Ising model and 1d Heisenberg model is that the latter allows for arbitrary spin polarizations and applies to a one-dimensional lattice in 3d space. The model with cells is considered to be better than the Ising model without cells due to the inclusion of the Hubbard U term which represents a strong local interaction. The physical meaning of the U term in this spin model is still unclear, but it may play a similar role as in electron models.
LagrangeEuler
I don't understand this idea. For example we have cubic crystal which has a lot of unit cells. We define spin variable of center of cell like [tex]S_c[/tex]. And spin variable of nearest neighbour cells with [tex]S_{c+r}[/tex]. So the cell hamiltonian is

[tex]\hat{H}=\frac{1}{2}J\sum_{c}\sum_{r}(S_c-S_{c+r})^2+\sum_cU(S_c^2)[/tex]
This model is simulation of uniaxial feromagnet.

I have three question:
1. What's the difference between Ising model and 1d Heisenberg model?

2. Why this model is better than Ising model with no cells? Where we have just spins which interract.
[tex]\hat{H}=-J\sum_iS_{i}S_{i+1}[/tex]

3. What [tex]\sum_cU(S_c^2)[/tex] means physically?

Tnx.

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
I have three question:
1. What's the difference between Ising model and 1d Heisenberg model?
If I am not mistaken, in the Heisenberg model the spins can have an arbitrary polarization, not just up or down (and there are Heisenberg models with different J paramters in different directions, like the XXZ Heisenberg model). The "1d" in the model then applies to the /lattice/ dimension. That is, for the 1d Heisenberg model, you might think of a one-dimensional lattice in 3d space, where the spins are not actually one-dimensional.

2. Why this model is better than Ising model with no cells? Where we have just spins which interract.
[tex]\hat{H}=-J\sum_iS_{i}S_{i+1}[/tex]
3. What [tex]\sum_cU(S_c^2)[/tex] means physically?
I have little knowledge of spin models, but the model you wrote down looks to me like it includes some variant of a "Hubbard U" term. In electron models, such terms represent a strong local interaction which gives a penalty for two electrons occupying the same lattice site (a kind of screened Coulomb interaction, if you wish). In such models the U is used to tune a system between weakly correlated limits (simple metals) to strongly correlated limits (Mott-insulating anti-ferromagnet), and maybe other phases depending on the lattice type.

In the Hubbard case, the U term is normally written as [tex]U\cdot n_{c\uparrow}\cdot n_{c\downarrow}[/tex] where the n are the up/down spin occupation number operators of electrons (thus giving only a contribution if there are both up and down electrons on the same site). But this form can be re-formulated into a similar form involving the total electron number operator and squared spins: [tex]\langle n_{c\uparrow}\cdot n_{c\downarrow}\rangle=\langle n\rangle - 2/3 \langle S_c^2\rangle[/tex] (or something to that degree..don't nail me on the prefactors). In spin models the site occupation is of course normally fixed at one spin per site, but maybe the squared spin term still can fulfill a similar role.

Tnx for the answer. So I can say in 1 - dimensional Heisenberg spin can pointed in any direction.

I'm not quite sure about Hubbard but I will look at it.

Do you know maybe the answer of second question?

Related to Understanding Ising Cell Hamiltonian

1. What is the Ising Cell Hamiltonian?

The Ising Cell Hamiltonian is a mathematical concept used to describe the interactions between particles in a system, specifically in the field of statistical mechanics. It is named after the physicist Ernst Ising, who first proposed this model in 1925.

2. How does the Ising Cell Hamiltonian work?

The Ising Cell Hamiltonian works by assigning an energy value to each possible state of a system, based on the interactions between particles. These energy values are then used to calculate the overall energy of the system, which can be used to predict its behavior and properties.

3. What is the significance of the Ising Cell Hamiltonian in physics?

The Ising Cell Hamiltonian is significant in physics because it provides a simple yet powerful model for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as magnets and other materials. It has also been applied in various fields, including biology, economics, and computer science.

4. How is the Ising Cell Hamiltonian used in research?

The Ising Cell Hamiltonian is used in research to study the behavior of various systems, especially in the fields of condensed matter physics, statistical mechanics, and computational physics. It is also used to develop and test numerical methods and algorithms for simulating and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

5. What are some limitations of the Ising Cell Hamiltonian?

One limitation of the Ising Cell Hamiltonian is that it is a simplified model and does not take into account all the factors that may affect a system. This can lead to discrepancies between the predicted behavior and the actual behavior of a system. Additionally, the Ising Cell Hamiltonian is only applicable to systems with discrete states, which may not accurately model some real-world systems.