Understanding Gauss's Law and Solving for E(P) and phi(P)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the electric potential at a specific point P given certain values for R and Q. The individual asking the question is unsure of what equations to use and is seeking clarification on the problem setup.
lidl
http://www.twiddla.com/188165
R and Q are given

E(P)=?
phi(P)=?

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have no idea. I managed to do phi=E*2pi*r*h

Physics news on Phys.org
lidl said:
http://www.twiddla.com/188165
R and Q are given

E(P)=?
phi(P)=?

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I have no idea. I managed to do phi=E*2pi*r*h
Welcome to PF!
Could you be more specific? What is R for instance? What is P? What are you looking for?

fluidistic said:
Welcome to PF!
Could you be more specific? What is R for instance? What is P? What are you looking for?

sorry for this R! mistake.

now i am looking only for the electric potential (sigma) at the point P!

lidl said:
sorry for this R! mistake.

now i am looking only for the electric potential (sigma) at the point P!

I don't see any point P on the picture. What is the configuration of charges?

Related to Understanding Gauss's Law and Solving for E(P) and phi(P)

1. What is Gauss's Law and why is it important in physics?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It is important because it allows us to calculate the electric field at a point due to a distribution of charges, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields.

2. How do I solve for the electric field (E) and electric potential (phi) using Gauss's Law?

To solve for E and phi using Gauss's Law, you first need to draw a Gaussian surface that encloses the charge distribution. Then, use the formula E = Q/ε0A, where Q is the total charge enclosed within the surface, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and A is the area of the surface. To solve for phi, use the formula phi = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant and r is the distance from the charge to the point of interest.

3. Can Gauss's Law be applied to any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any charge distribution, whether it is a point charge, line of charge, or a continuous charge distribution. However, the shape and symmetry of the charge distribution will determine the choice of Gaussian surface and the complexity of the calculations.

4. What are the units for electric field and electric potential?

The units for electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). The units for electric potential are volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. Can Gauss's Law be used to determine the direction of the electric field?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used to determine the direction of the electric field at a point. The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the surface of the Gaussian surface and points away from positive charges and towards negative charges.