"Understanding Functional Moieties in Gold Nanoparticles

• Thread starter tayyaba1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the conversation discusses a project on gold nanoparticles and the confusion over the term "functional moieties" in a statement about the synthesis of these nanoparticles. It is clarified that "moieties" refers to different functional groups, such as alcohols, amines, and double bonds. The person seeking help understands the concept now.
tayyaba1

Homework Statement

i am doing project on gold nanoparticles i was reading a per regarding synthesis of gold nanoparticles. then i came across a statement "GNPs bearing functional moieties, which are anchored with thiol-linkers, in their monolayers" i didn't understand the word functional moities . please anyone can help me to understand this in simplest words

thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i google it but couldn't understand

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the word 'moieties' throwing you? Replace it with 'groups'. An alcohol is a group as are amines, nitriles, carboxylates, double bonds, etc...

chemisttree said:
Is the word 'moieties' throwing you? Replace it with 'groups'. An alcohol is a group as are amines, nitriles, carboxylates, double bonds, etc...

thank you sir.. now i got it...

Related to "Understanding Functional Moieties in Gold Nanoparticles

What are gold nanoparticles?

Gold nanoparticles are tiny particles made of gold atoms that are less than 100 nanometers in size. They have unique optical, electronic, and catalytic properties due to their small size and large surface area.

What are functional moieties?

Functional moieties refer to specific chemical groups or structures attached to a molecule or nanoparticle that give it certain properties or functions. In the case of gold nanoparticles, functional moieties can be added to modify their surface properties and make them more suitable for specific applications.

How are functional moieties attached to gold nanoparticles?

Functional moieties can be attached to gold nanoparticles through various chemical reactions, such as thiol-gold bonding, amine-gold bonding, or carboxyl-gold bonding. These reactions can be done in solution or on a solid surface, depending on the desired application.

What are the applications of gold nanoparticles with functional moieties?

Gold nanoparticles with functional moieties have a wide range of applications in fields such as biomedicine, catalysis, and sensing. They can be used as drug delivery vehicles, contrast agents for imaging, catalysts for chemical reactions, and biosensors for detecting specific molecules.

How can understanding functional moieties in gold nanoparticles benefit scientific research?

Understanding the role of functional moieties in gold nanoparticles can help scientists design and tailor these particles for specific applications. It can also lead to the development of new and improved methods for attaching functional moieties and studying their effects on the properties of gold nanoparticles.