Understanding Friction: Formula and Meaning Explained

In summary, the formula for friction is F_{friction}=N\mu where N is the normal force and \mu is the coefficient of friction. Normal force is the force exerted on an object from the surface in contact, while coefficient of friction is the constant that defines the slickness between two surfaces. There is also a difference between static and kinetic friction, with corresponding coefficients for each type. Normal force can be calculated by dividing the static or kinetic force by the respective coefficient. Finally, the force of friction will equal the kinetic force if the object is moving, and the static force if the object is stationary.
-Physician

Homework Statement

What's the friction's formula, and what do the formula pieces mean, thanks :)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

none

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to look this one up elsewhere on the internet, but:

[itex]F_{friction}=N\mu[/itex]
N=normal force
[itex]\mu[/itex]=coefficient of friction

Normal force is the force exerted on an object from the surface in contact. This is the force that prevents my hand from phasing through a wall when I push on it. In many cases, normal force is the force that pushes an object upward due to the force of gravity, though it is not limited to only this.

Coefficient of friction is the constant that defines the slickness between two surfaces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more friction there is between two surfaces. The number is unique to the surfaces in contact, so the coefficient of friction will not be the same between a piece of paper and a plank of wood, and a piece of paper and concrete.

I hope I have provided an explanation that was in-depth as you hoped for.

I searched in google and you just completed the information but 1 more question, i heard about static/kinetic force and static/kinetic coefficient , what are those? And would the normal force be ##N=G=mg##?

Static friction is the frictional force between a stationary object and a surface. Kinetic frictional force is between a moving object and a surface. The corresponding coefficients go with the respective type of friction. In most cases, the frictional force is referring to kinetic, such as an object sliding down a ramp or any other surface. Most of the time a friction question will specify which type of friction is acting upon an object. If it is not specified, you will need to figure out what type is acting on the object. (note: wheels use static friction)

And would the normal force be N=G=mg?
Normal force is equal to the force pushing against a surface. If the surface is horizontal, then N=mg. If it is a ramp, N=mgcosθ. Like I had said before, normal force isn't always gravity, but in more cases than not it is.

thank you very much

Always a pleasure to help.

Sorry, 1 more question would Normal force would be static force divided by static coefficient ? and same thing with kinetic force and coefficient ?
##N=\frac{F_s}{μ_s}##

##N=\frac{F_k}{μ_k}##

If you know both Fs and [itex]\mu[/itex]s, then I don't see why not. I find calculating normal force this way rare, but like I said, if you know both, then go for it.
You said you have other questions, send me a link to the thread in a pm and I will see how I can help, assuming you weren't talking about this one.

Okay this is the last question , is Kinetic Force equal to Force of friction ?##F_k = F_f##

-Physician said:
Okay this is the last question , is Kinetic Force equal to Force of friction ?##F_k = F_f##

I assume that you meant "kinetic friction" not "kinetic force". [itex]F_{f}[/itex] will equal what ever force of friction is acting on the object at that moment. If the object is moving, [itex]F_{f}=F_{k}[/itex], while if the object is stationary but a force is attempting to move it, [itex]F_{f}=F_{s}[/itex].

Oh, I got it now, thanks!

Related to Understanding Friction: Formula and Meaning Explained

1. What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is a resistance force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving relative to each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and can be caused by the roughness of the surfaces or the presence of fluids between them.

2. How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces, by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surfaces. The resulting value is the amount of force that must be overcome to keep the surfaces moving at a constant velocity.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the weight or mass of the objects, and the presence of any lubricants or fluids. It is also influenced by the degree of motion between the surfaces, with more force needed to overcome static friction (when the surfaces are not moving) compared to kinetic friction (when the surfaces are in motion).

4. How does the force of friction relate to motion?

The force of friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can either slow down or stop objects in motion. It can also be used to generate motion, such as when walking or driving a car, where the force of friction between the ground and the feet or tires provides the necessary traction for movement.

5. How can the force of friction be reduced?

The force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or smooth surfaces, or by decreasing the weight or mass of the objects in contact. It can also be reduced by decreasing the surface area of contact between the objects, as less surface area means less friction. In some cases, the force of friction can be completely eliminated, such as in space where there is no air resistance to oppose motion.