Understanding Friction Force Calculation for Ball Bearings on a Track

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of frictional force on a ball bearing sliding across a track. The two methods mentioned are using V^2 = u^2 + 2as to calculate deceleration and equating to F=ma, and finding frictional force by dividing the lost kinetic energy by the distance traveled. The concept of work is also brought up, where frictional force does negative work on the ball bearing. The need to specify an isolated system for the conservation of linear momentum is questioned, to which it is explained that the system must be isolated in order for all energy lost to go towards heating by friction and not to anything else.
semc
Hey guys i was told to calculate the frictional force of a ball bearing when it slide across a track. I was given the initial and final velocities , the distance between them and the weight of the ball. The 1st thing i though of was V^2 = u^2 + 2as and calculate for the deceleration then equate to F=ma. However i was told that i can find the frictional force by dividing the lost in kinetic energy by the distance traveled by the ball. I have not heard of this equation before can someone tell me what this is and where i can read more about it?

Another thing, why do we need to say that momentum is conserved in an isolated system? Cant we just say momentum is conserved without mentioning isolated system?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That'll be the concept of work. The frictional force does work (negative) on the ball bearing, which reduces its kinetic energy.

Oh... damn should have though of that... What about isolated system? why do we need to specify inside an isolated system

semc said:
Oh... damn should have though of that... What about isolated system? why do we need to specify inside an isolated system

Consider the derivation of the conservation of linear momentum. If we pick a system such that there is a net external force acting on it - that force not being from something within our chosen system - then clearly our derivation does not hold and linear momentum is not conserved for this particular system.

You want the system to be isolated so that you can say that all the energy lost goes to heating by friction and not to anything else.

Related to Understanding Friction Force Calculation for Ball Bearings on a Track

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface.

2. How is friction force calculated?

Friction force can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction (a constant that depends on the materials in contact) by the normal force (the force perpendicular to the surface).

3. What factors affect the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How does friction force affect motion?

Friction force can either slow down or stop motion, or it can cause an object to move in a different direction than it would without friction.

5. How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, making surfaces smoother, or decreasing the force pressing the surfaces together.