Understanding formulas involving divison and multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of division and multiplication in mathematical formulas involving abstract concepts. The conversation also touches on the use of division in defining concepts such as speed and the importance of understanding mathematical language. The concept of ratios is also mentioned, and the conversation questions why addition and subtraction are more readily accepted when dealing with abstract concepts. Finally, the conversation raises the question of how to calculate the area of a square or rectangle.
Niaboc67
I've never quite understood is how formula can involve division and multiplication while dealing with abstract concepts. Such as, ohm's law V = I•R where V=voltage applied I=current and R=resistance. How does that work exactly? how can you multiply two abstract concepts together to understand the equivalence to something else. Is this to assume we are evaluating for something, correct? if we know the certain number of volts and the current we can figure out the voltage? if this is correct can this be reversed in order to figure out the others alone, such as I and R?

Other formulas such as Speed = distance / time. Things like these have always confused me, maybe I just don't quite understand division but how can diving possible given you the outcome of speed?
Also anything dealing with infinities and pi in formulas I don't see how these are work together to form an understanding.

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Many times it is a definition. Like (speed = distance / time), that's just the definition of speed. Mathematics is just a language and that is the mathematical translation of "speed is distance per time" or "speed is how long it takes to go a distance" or "speed is how far you go in an amount of time"
Those are 3 verbal (english) ways of defining speed. Division is just part of the language used in the mathematical definition.

As with any language, you have to use it quite a bit before you can understand it fluently. You have to use it a lot to understand the subtle meanings involved, and you also have to use it a lot before you can think with it.

Niaboc67 said:
Other formulas such as Speed = distance / time. Things like these have always confused me,
How would you calculate speed instead?

Speed is a 'concept'. You can't avoid the Maths.

Niaboc67 said:
I've never quite understood is how formula can involve division and multiplication while dealing with abstract concepts.

What about ratios? How do you feel about them?

Your post implies that you accept addition and subtraction w.r.t. abstract concepts. Why?

If you wanted to calculate the area of a square or rectangle, how would you do it?

Related to Understanding formulas involving divison and multiplication

What is the difference between multiplication and division?

Multiplication is the process of adding equal groups together to find a total, while division is the process of splitting a total into equal groups.

How do I know which operation to use in a formula?

In a formula, multiplication and division are typically used to find a total or to adjust a quantity by a certain factor. The operation used depends on the specific goal of the formula.

What is the order of operations for formulas involving multiplication and division?

The order of operations is the same as in regular math: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

What is the purpose of using parentheses in formulas involving division and multiplication?

Parentheses are used to indicate which operations should be done first in a formula. This helps to avoid confusion and ensure the correct answer is obtained.

How can I check my work when using formulas involving division and multiplication?

One way to check your work is to use the inverse operation. For example, if you used division to solve a problem, you can check your answer by multiplying it by the original number. The product should be the same as the other number in the formula.