Understanding Force: Defining F=ma and Other Equations

We can define force as something that causes a mass to accelerate, as shown by F=ma. However, this definition may not hold up in all cases, as there are static forces that do not result in acceleration. Therefore, a more accurate definition may be "force is something that gives an object an acceleration according to F=ma, if acting alone on the object." Additionally, this definition may need to be refined further as we continue to learn more about forces through experiments and observations.
ucanihl
What is the exact definition of force leading to F=ma? Couldn't we define another equation for force, say F=mj or maybe F=2ma? I think it is because of our senses and the force is defined by the Hooke's Law F=kx, but I am not sure..

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually F=ma is the definition of force. But it should also be noted that Newton's theory requires the natural amount of intuition and the three laws+natural intuitions build up Newton's theory.

Shyan said:
Actually F=ma is the definition of force.

Can an equation be called a definition?

Drakkith said:
Let me state it more clearly! We can define force as something that gives massive objects an acceleration according to F=ma.

Shyan said:
Let me state it more clearly!

No need. It was an honest question that I don't know the answer to.

Drakkith said:
No need. It was an honest question that I don't know the answer to.
In that case, I should give you a clarifying example. The concept of power is the rate of change/transfer of energy. If you think about it, this definition has nothing in excess of ## P\equiv \frac{dE}{dt} ##.

Because Physics is not an Axiomatic study, I don't think you can tunnel down within it to find any true 'definitions'. You can never do better than link the definitions of quantities to personal experience and observation.
Maths, otoh, starts from definitions and builds a coherent structure on them.
Of course, we quote Physics 'definitions' every day but, apart from definitions in the form of a relationship of other quantities, I think the process ends up as a matter of faith..

My 2 cents is, labeling m*a as an entity that you can treat as a "currency" in your physical system analysis, makes for a definition.

Drakkith said:
I would say, yes.

In physics I tend to think of two kinds of definitions: experimental and theoretical. The theoretical ones are usually equations, and the experimental ones are basically instructions for measuring a quantity. At least, that is how I think of definitions in physics.

Shyan said:
We can define force as something that gives massive objects an acceleration according to F=ma.
That would define net force, not force in general. It doesn't account for static forces.

A.T. said:
That would define net force, not force in general. It doesn't account for static forces.
I don't think that's a serious problem. You can always consider the initial acceleration whilst the velocity is still zero.

sophiecentaur said:
You can always consider the initial acceleration whilst the velocity is still zero.
You can have forces acting with zero acceleration.

A.T. said:
Of course but you only have to consider removing the opposing force and allow the force to produce some virtual acceleration. That force is conceptually no different with or without acceleration occurring.

sophiecentaur said:
That force is conceptually no different with or without acceleration occurring.
Then acceleration shouldn't be used to define force in general.

A.T. said:

This is one reason why I don't think equations are definitions.

ucanihl said:
What is the exact definition of force leading to F=ma?

The simple definition is that force is any interaction that results in the acceleration of a mass. But, as shown above, this simple definition may not hold up to scrutiny. Of course, a definition is not the same thing as a full description of something, so it may not matter too much.

A.T. said:
As I stated in my post #2, Newton's laws+some natural intuitions builds up Newton's theory. If you exclude the intuitions, you'll have problem with Newton's laws and which came from where and what are the definitions. So here I think we should do some work to reach a full theory. At first this definition says that, unlike Aristotle's thoughts, force doesn't maintain velocity, but acceleration. Next we should do some experiment with objects that are in accelerated motion and find out more about forces. Then after gathering that information about different kinds of forces, we'll understand that such forces can cancel each other. Then we change the definition to "force is something that gives massive objects an acceleration according to F=ma, if acted alone on the object."

Drakkith said:
You just have to use the right equations. E.g. ##\Sigma f=ma## instead of ##f=ma##.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:

Whether you use an equation or an arm waving description, the quantities in Physics are all referenced to each other. There ain't no pure definition of anything. Our personal experience may make us lean towards particular quantities as more fundamental than others. Resistance is a good example of this; it's really only, by 'definition' a ratio of two other quantities (an equation is its basis) yet people keep posting questions on PF about "What Is Resistance?".

Likes Drakkith
Shyan you said "force is something that gives massive objects an accelaration to F=ma..". However isn't this an assumption? Ok we can define "a" directly from distance and time sense. Mass is as well from accelaration and weight senses. I mean, you see objects falls with different accelarations and after some examination you just find out that the weight sense is directly proportional with accelaration and the ratio is something constant named as mass so it is sensely meaningful. How about the force? Can we define it with using the sense of press, the sense of weight?

ucanihl said:
Can we define it with using the sense of press, the sense of weight?
That's ok in principle (and it's the way we mostly measure forces in everyday life) but you have to ask yourself how you would 'calibrate' this force using this definition. If it to be a useful quantity then you would have to be able to tell other people (other laboratories) the conditions in which they could reproduce your standard unit force. Springs etc. are difficult to specify accurately and you would need to specify a certain deformation of a certain shape, made of a particular substance (metal?). Accuracy would be very dodgy. too, we can measure mass to a high degree of accuracy (using standard kg as a starter) and also, distance and time can be measured reliably to fantastic degrees of accuracy. So defining Force in terms of mass length and time is really a no brainer.

A definition does not describe the "real" objective reality since according to philosophy nothing can be proven, right? A definition describes a model of reality. Equations function as such a model, as long as you understand the variables and what they describe and when they apply. Any model can be further refined, such as how Shyan explained about how forces can neutralize each other and in which case they cause acceleration.

Related to Understanding Force: Defining F=ma and Other Equations

1. What is the equation for force?

The equation for force is F = ma, where F stands for force, m stands for mass, and a stands for acceleration.

2. How is force related to mass and acceleration?

Force is directly proportional to both mass and acceleration. This means that an increase in either mass or acceleration will result in an increase in force, and a decrease in either mass or acceleration will result in a decrease in force.

3. What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is Newton (N). Other common units of force include pound-force (lbf) and kilogram-force (kgf).

4. How is Newton's second law of motion related to F=ma?

Newton's second law of motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This is represented by the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. Can the F=ma equation be used for all types of forces?

Yes, the F=ma equation can be used for all types of forces, including gravitational force, frictional force, and applied force. However, it is important to note that the equation may need to be modified for different scenarios, such as when dealing with non-constant forces or forces acting in multiple directions.