Understanding Focal Points: Why Textbooks Define Them Differently | Lenses Q&A

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lenses
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of focal point and how images are formed by parallel rays. It also touches on the use of a magnifying glass and the difference between the images produced by the Moon and the Sun. The conversation also mentions the use of a lens with a focal distance of 1m and the calculation of image distance and size for different objects. Finally, it suggests the use of simulation software to better understand the behavior of images and rays.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have many questions.Once I get the answer of the first one,I will proceed with the second and so on.
This is really not a home work question.But...
So,In my textbook as well as my teacher defines the focal point as :The point where image of a distant(Parallel rays) object is formed.

As there are parallel rays,All the rays will converge to a one single point.So it is not an image.But why does the textbook defines like that?

I used a magnifying glass and saw that moon produces a nice image but the sun produce a dot.
But the rays from moon is also considered parallel

attachment.php?attachmentid=65813&stc=1&d=1390145813.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    7 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
The parallel rays meet at the focal point. Both the Moon and the Sun are so far away, that their images forms in the focal point practically.
Still, their image is not a single dot.
Image is formed when the rays emerging from a point of the object meet in a single point again.
The rays arriving at the lens from a point of the Moon (Sun) are not quite parallel, and they meet and form a point of the image.

Assume you have a lens with focal distance of 1 m. The Moon is 385000 km away, and its diameter is about 3500 km. What is the image distance and the size of its image?
The distance of Sun is about 150 million km, and its diameter is about 1.4 million km. Where does its image form and what is the image size?

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
The parallel rays meet at the focal point. Both the Moon and the Sun are so far away, that their image forms in the focal point practically.
Still, their image is not a single dot.
Image is formed when the rays emerging from a point of the object meat in a single point again.
The rays arriving at the lens from a point of the Moon (Sun) are not quite parallel, and they meet and form a point of the image.
Ok.So they are not actually parallel.

ehild said:
Assume you have a lens with focal distance of 1 m. The Moon is 385000 km away, and its diameter is about 3500 km. What is the image distance and the size of its image?
The distance of Sun is about 150 million km, and its diameter is about 1.4 million km. Where does its image form and what is the image size?

ehild
Actually I haven't studied that kind of things yet.
So for second question...

attachment.php?attachmentid=65821&stc=1&d=1390153397.png

As you see,the rays from a point of an object converges to another point to form an image.
But the green and red lines also meet.What will happen there?Will an image be formed?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 440
Put an object of height h and position p=10m to the left of a convex lens of say f = 1m focal length. Draw rays from the top and bottom of the object to the image, which will be to the right of the lens, inverted, at a distance q = pf/(p-f) and of height hq/p = hf/(p-f) = h/(10-1) = 0.111h (all quantities > 0).

Now double the size of the object and double p. Draw rays from the top and bottom of the object again. q will shrink a bit but the image size is almost as big as before: 2h/(20-1) = 0.105h. Notice that the wavefront is closer to being parallel than before.

You can extend this to larger & larger h and p, keeping h/p constant, and the rays will focus closer and closer to the f plane but the height of the image remains almost unchanged. In the limit for p and h → ∞, but keeping h/p = 0.1, the image height is hf/p = 0.100h.

So with for example the Sun, h and p are huge, the wavefront is essentially completely parallel, but the object still focuses to show the correct image. The image forms at the focal plane but is still intact.

Your instructor should have used the term 'focal plane' rather than 'focus'.

adjacent said:
attachment.php?attachmentid=65821&stc=1&d=1390153397.png

As you see,the rays from a point of an object converges to another point to form an image.
But the green and red lines also meet.What will happen there?Will an image be formed?

No.

F is in the focal plane. The red and green rays would converge there if and only if the object distance is infinity.

The red and green rays don't 'see' each other. This is based on the principle of superposition. One ray does not affect another.

EDIT: I should rephrase that: if you place a screen on the image plane where all the green beams meet, all the red beams meet, etc. you will get a sharp image.

If you place the screen at F in your illustration you will also get an image, but since there the green and red beams meet the image will be all blurry.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
adjacent said:
https://www.physicsforums.com
But the green and red lines also meet.What will happen there?Will an image be formed?[/QUOTE]
You can draw a lot of red lines from the peak of the arrow, and they all meet in one point. Meanwhile, they cross green lines, at different points. You see an image point where all rays meet which came from a certain point of the object.

ehild

Likes 1 person
OK.Now I understand
Is there any kind of nice software which simulates what happens to image,rays etc when the object moves away or close to the lens etc??

adjacent said:
OK.Now I understand
Is there any kind of nice software which simulates what happens to image,rays etc when the object moves away or close to the lens etc??

I found simple simulation here

and Google shows over 2 milion results.
I think you will find what you need there.

Likes 1 person
Oh Thank you.

Related to Understanding Focal Points: Why Textbooks Define Them Differently | Lenses Q&A

1. What are lenses used for in science?

Lenses are used in science for a variety of purposes, but they are primarily used to manipulate light. They can be used to focus or magnify light, as well as to bend or refract light in specific ways. This is essential in many scientific experiments and observations, such as in microscopes or telescopes.

2. What are the different types of lenses?

The two main types of lenses are convex and concave lenses. Convex lenses are thicker in the middle and make objects appear larger, while concave lenses are thinner in the middle and make objects appear smaller. Other types of lenses include plano-convex, plano-concave, and meniscus lenses, each with their own unique properties and uses.

3. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by refracting light, which means they bend the light as it passes through them. This bending of light allows lenses to change the direction and focus of light rays, which is what makes them so useful in science. The shape and curvature of a lens determine how it will bend light.

4. What is the difference between a converging and diverging lens?

A converging lens, also known as a convex lens, causes light rays to converge or come together at a single point. This creates a magnified image of an object placed in front of the lens. On the other hand, a diverging lens, also known as a concave lens, causes light rays to diverge or spread apart. This creates a smaller, virtual image of an object placed in front of the lens.

5. How are lenses used in everyday life?

Lenses are used in many everyday objects, such as eyeglasses, cameras, and smartphones. They are also used in various applications, such as in car headlights, projectors, and binoculars. Additionally, lenses are used in medical devices, such as microscopes and endoscopes, as well as in industrial equipment for measuring and inspecting objects.