Understanding First Order Logic for "Two Purple Mushrooms

In summary, the sentence "There are exactly two purple mushrooms" is represented in FOL as (Ex)(Ey) mushroom(x) ^ purple(x) ^ mushroom(y) ^ purple(y) ^ ~(x=y) ^ (Az) (mushroom(z) ^ purple(z)) => ((x=z) v (y=z)). The last part states that if there are three purple mushrooms, one of them must be the same as either of the first two. This allows for the possibility of either x or y being equal to z.
jamborta
hi,

could someone explain to me why the sentence - There are exactly two purple mushrooms is represented in FOL like this:
(Ex)(Ey) mushroom(x) ^ purple(x) ^ mushroom(y) ^ purple(y) ^ ~(x=y) ^ (Az) (mushroom(z) ^ purple(z)) => ((x=z) v (y=z))

especially the last part i have problem with. i assume that i misunderstood some of the definitions which are the basis of FOL, that might be the source of the confusion.

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
well without the last part with z, you actually stating that there are at least 2 purple mushrooms, while with the last part you stating that there are exactly two.

thanks. but i don't understand why it's and OR ((x=z) v (y=z)) which would allow either of them being equal to z.

Yes, that's the whole point. If you posit three purple mushrooms, x, y, and z, saying that there are, in fact, only two, the last of them, z, must be the same as either one of the first two. If you start of with two purple mushrooms, x and y, and state they are not the same mushroom, then any third purple mushroom must be the same mushroom as x or y but you don't know which. Yes, definitely, either of them could be equal to z.

Related to Understanding First Order Logic for "Two Purple Mushrooms

1. What is First Order Logic (FOL)?

First Order Logic is a formal system used to represent and reason about knowledge in a precise and unambiguous way. It is a type of mathematical logic that is commonly used in computer science and artificial intelligence.

2. How does FOL apply to "Two Purple Mushrooms"?

FOL can be used to represent the knowledge and relationships between the two purple mushrooms in a logical and structured way. It allows us to make inferences and draw conclusions about the mushrooms based on the information we have about them.

3. What are the components of FOL?

The components of FOL include symbols, variables, predicates, quantifiers, logical connectives, and equality. These components are used to construct sentences or statements that represent knowledge about a particular domain.

4. How does FOL differ from other types of logic?

FOL is a first-order logic, which means it allows for quantification over individual objects. This makes it more expressive and powerful compared to other types of logic, such as propositional logic, which only allows for statements about truth values.

5. Can FOL be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, FOL is often used in various fields, such as computer science, linguistics, philosophy, and mathematics, to solve real-world problems. It can be used to represent and reason about complex systems and relationships, making it a valuable tool for knowledge representation and automated reasoning.