Understanding Faraday's Law with Solenoids

In summary, the emf in a solenoid can be calculated by multiplying the changing flux for one loop times the number of turns in the solenoid. This is because the loops in a solenoid are electrically in series, similar to having multiple batteries in series, resulting in the total emf being equal to the individual emf of each loop multiplied by the number of turns. This concept is also seen in Ampere's law, where currents are added together in a line integral, but the reasoning for adding turns in a solenoid is not as clear.
davidbenari
It is a well known fact that whenever we want to calculate the emf in a solenoid we usually multiply the changing flux for one loop times N, which is the number of turns in the solenoid.

But why is this?

For example, in the case of amperes law, I know that it makes sense to add currents because you are considering the line integral, one can think of it like

##\oint \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{dl} = \oint (\mathbf{\sum_i B_i}) \cdot \mathbf{dl} = \sum_i ( \oint \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{dl} ) _ i = \sum_i \mu_0 I = \mu_0 \sum_i I_i ##

In that case, currents clearly should add, but I don't see why currents or turns in the solenoid are added in any "deep" sense (when applying Faraday's law).

Thanks and sorry if my question is unclear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
davidbenari said:
It is a well known fact that whenever we want to calculate the emf in a solenoid we usually multiply the changing flux for one loop times N, which is the number of turns in the solenoid.

But why is this?

For example, in the case of amperes law, I know that it makes sense to add currents because you are considering the line integral, one can think of it like

##\oint \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{dl} = \oint (\mathbf{\sum_i B_i}) \cdot \mathbf{dl} = \sum_i ( \oint \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{dl} ) _ i = \sum_i \mu_0 I = \mu_0 \sum_i I_i ##

In that case, currents clearly should add, but I don't see why currents or turns in the solenoid are added in any "deep" sense (when applying Faraday's law).

Thanks and sorry if my question is unclear.
Is there anything you can do to condense this or make it clearer?

davidbenari said:

But why is this?

Gah, I can't believe nobody tackled this, including me. ?:)

Suppose you have a single loop that produces (for a given changing-magnetic-field configuration) an emf of 1.5 volts. Now suppose you have a coil or solenoid containing, say, 5 of these loops (turns). The loops are electrically in series, so you have 5 emf's in series, 1.5 volts each. It's like having 5 (ideal) dry-cell batteries in series, each with an emf of 1.5 volts, producing a total emf of 7.5 volts.

Likes davidbenari
jtbell:

I guess you have answered my Q. thanks.

First of all, it is important to understand that Faraday's law is based on the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. In the case of a solenoid, the changing magnetic field is caused by the changing current flowing through the loops of the solenoid. This changing magnetic field then induces an electric field within the solenoid.

Now, to understand why we multiply the changing flux by the number of turns in the solenoid, we need to look at the definition of flux. Flux is the amount of a vector field (in this case, the magnetic field) passing through a given area. In the case of a solenoid, the magnetic field is confined within the loops of the solenoid. Therefore, the amount of flux passing through one loop is directly proportional to the number of turns in the solenoid. This is because each turn of the solenoid contributes to the overall magnetic field within the solenoid.

So, when we multiply the changing flux by the number of turns in the solenoid, we are essentially taking into account the contribution of each turn to the overall magnetic field and the resulting induced electric field. This is why it is necessary to consider the number of turns in a solenoid when applying Faraday's law.

In summary, the reason for multiplying the changing flux by the number of turns in a solenoid is based on the fundamental principles of electromagnetic induction and the definition of flux. It may seem like a simple mathematical operation, but it is rooted in the underlying physical principles of electromagnetism.

Related to Understanding Faraday's Law with Solenoids

1. What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to solenoids?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and the induction of an electric current. In the case of solenoids, Faraday's Law states that when a magnetic field passes through a coil of wire, it induces an electric current. This current creates its own magnetic field, which interacts with the original field to create a force that can be harnessed for various applications.

2. How do solenoids work?

Solenoids are essentially coils of wire that are wound tightly around a cylindrical core. When an electric current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This field can be used to attract or repel objects, depending on the direction of the current and the orientation of the solenoid. By controlling the flow of electricity, solenoids can be used to create precise and powerful movements.

3. What factors affect the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the wire, the material and shape of the core, and the distance between the turns of wire. Increasing any of these factors can increase the strength of the magnetic field, while decreasing them will have the opposite effect.

4. How is Faraday's Law used in practical applications with solenoids?

Faraday's Law is used in numerous practical applications with solenoids, including in electromagnetic relays, electric motors, and generators. In these devices, the changing magnetic field created by the solenoid induces an electric current that can be used to perform mechanical work or generate electricity.

5. Can Faraday's Law be applied to other types of coils besides solenoids?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be applied to any type of coil, as long as there is a changing magnetic field passing through it. This includes other types of electromagnetic coils, such as toroids and helical coils, as well as non-electromagnetic coils, such as those used in transformers. However, solenoids are the most commonly used type of coil due to their simplicity and versatility.