Understanding Faraday's Law: Coil in Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a ring-shaped coil of N turns and area A connected to an external circuit with a twisted pair of leads. The author claims that the total charge Q that flows through the circuit as a result of a change in magnetic flux is independent of the rate of change of the flux. Faraday's law and Ohm's law are used to try and derive this result, but there is some confusion about the role of cosine theta in the equations. The final expression shows that Q is independent of the rate of change of flux.
FourierX

Homework Statement

Actually this is not exactly a homework. I am trying to understand the following situation only.

Consider a ring shaped coil of N turns and area A. Connect it to an external circuit with a twisted pair of leads ( this info is trivial). The resistance of the circuit along with the coil itself is R. Now the coil in a magnetic field.

Suppose the flux through the coil is somehow altered from its initial steady state value (A) to final value (B).

The author claims that the total charge Q that flows through the circuit as a result is independent of the rate of change of the flux. I am having hard time understanding this. Can anyone help me understand it.

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint[/tex] E.dl = -d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

faraday's law is the most relevant law here, according to the book. But I am just not getting what the author is saying.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this lecture covers a lot of what you want to know.
http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/8/8.02/videolectures/wl-802-lec16-220k.ram

(Requires Real Player, if that's not a problem for you.)

About 11 minutes in if you are in a rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks,

i followed the video. It was helpful.

However, i am still not sure about independence of charge with the rate of change of flux. On applying faraday's law

EMF = -Nd[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt

In the condition mention in the question above, B is the final M_flux A and the initial M_flux. We are trying to derive Q such that it is independent of d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt.

I am confused with initial and final magentic flux. On just using d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt, here is what i got

I = Nd[tex]\Phi[/tex] cos(theta)/dt*(R)

and I = dQ/dt

But still Q is dependent on d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt.

Any clue ?

Last edited:
What is cos theta here? And try equating the expression for I with V/R where V is as given by Faraday's law.

cosine theta is a mistake here. It has to be omitted.

Yeah, i did use Ohm's law there.

But my confusion at this point is, since the final and initial fluxes are given, in Faraday's formula, should emf beemf = -N d(B-A)/dt or just -N d(flux)/dt ?

The final expression is supposed to show that Q is independent of rate of change of flux

Last edited:
It should be [tex]emf = -\frac{B-A}{\delta t}[/tex].

did you forget N ?

No I didn't. N was already included in both B and A. Remember that B, A are themselves the flux through the coil. Anyway it should make no difference in the solution.

Related to Understanding Faraday's Law: Coil in Magnetic Field

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current.

How does a coil in a magnetic field illustrate Faraday's Law?

A coil in a magnetic field is a simple example of Faraday's Law in action. When a magnetic field is introduced to the coil, a current is induced in the coil. This current only exists while the magnetic field is changing, demonstrating the relationship between the two.

What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a coil?

The strength of the induced current in a coil depends on the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field itself. Additionally, the orientation of the coil in the magnetic field can also affect the induced current.

Can Faraday's Law be applied to other situations besides a coil in a magnetic field?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be applied to any situation where there is a changing magnetic field and a conductor present. This includes generators, transformers, and other electromechanical devices.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is used in a variety of technologies, including electric motors, generators, transformers, and power plants. It is also the basis for wireless charging and induction cooktops. Additionally, understanding Faraday's Law is crucial for the development of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power.