Understanding Entropy and Free Falling Objects in a Vacuum System

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and its relation to an object falling without air resistance. The speaker questions whether entropy changes in this scenario and if it is possible for the object to return to its original height. The conversation also delves into the role of other mechanisms, such as inelastic collisions, in affecting entropy. Ultimately, the group concludes that entropy can increase during the object's fall despite the absence of air resistance or collisions, but it can still potentially rise again after a perfect elastic collision or on a frictionless ramp.
kimpantip
Dear sir,

Hi, Everyone. I have a question about entropy. If the object falls without air resistant (vacuum system) , Is entropy changed? If ΔS=0, it means reversible, is it possible that the object can go back to the original height? I know that it is impossible but can we explain that ΔS >0.
Within the condition as following:
*** Focus on within the space (free falling under gravity)

Thank you very much

Science news on Phys.org
If the object falls without air resistant (vacuum system) , Is entropy changed? If ΔS=0, it means reversible, is it possible that the object can go back to the original height?
What do you think?

I know that it is impossible
Why? Assuming there are no other mechanisms where energy gets lost (inelastic collisions for example).

What do you think?

Why? Assuming there are no other mechanisms where energy gets lost (inelastic collisions for example).

The thing that I wonder is how can entropy increase while the object is falling in spite of no air resistant and no collision on the ground.

That's my question: why do you think it would increase?

why do you think it would increase?

ifΔs=0 it reversible, object is able to rise! so i think that Δs>0

kimpantip said:
ifΔs=0 it reversible, object is able to rise!
Sure it is, and it will do so after a perfect elastic collision (or a frictionless U-shaped ramp).

Related to Understanding Entropy and Free Falling Objects in a Vacuum System

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy within a system.

How does entropy relate to free falling objects in a vacuum system?

In a vacuum system, there is a lack of external forces and interactions, resulting in a decrease in entropy. This means that the energy within the system is more concentrated and ordered, leading to a decrease in randomness.

What is the relationship between entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that in a vacuum system, as a free falling object moves towards the ground, the entropy will increase due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy.

How does the concept of entropy apply to real-world scenarios?

Entropy is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and applies to many real-world scenarios, such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and the behavior of gases. In the case of free falling objects in a vacuum system, an understanding of entropy can help explain the decrease in randomness and the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy.

Can entropy be reversed or decreased in a system?

In accordance with the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. However, in certain processes, such as refrigeration, a decrease in entropy can occur in a specific part of the system, while the total entropy of the system as a whole still increases.