Understanding Enthalpy: How Salting Crushed Ice Cools Beer Faster

In summary, by adding salt to crushed ice, the beer is able to get cold faster due to the colligative property of salt lowering the freezing point of water. This eliminates insulating air spaces, allowing for faster heat exchange. Enthalpy and entropy also play a role in this process, as the melting of ice and dissolution of salt both involve changes in enthalpy and entropy. By considering the enthalpy of melting and crystallization and the change in entropy during these processes, one can better understand the mechanism behind the faster cooling of the beer.
Saska
Can someone help me understand this:

By salting the crushed ice, the beer got cold faster.

Why?! I have recently studied some Enthalpy, so if anyone could give me an explanation to this using anything related to Enthalpy I'd be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't even need enthalpy IMO.

In general, an object immersed in liquid water will exchange heat with the liquid faster than it will with ice cubes - because of insulating air spaces.

Salt allows the ice to liquify at a "below freezing" temperature, getting rid of the insulating air spaces. Colligative property of NaCl -> lowering freezing point of water.

For school I need to know and understand this using enthalpy and enthropy. :)

Thanks for the answer. Let me go through it, look up some words in a dictionary and I'll be right back!

EDIT: OK I read through your reponse. It makes sense but isn't there much more to it? For exampleI have no idea where enthropy and enthalpy comes into the picture.

My friend (who is, unfortunately, offline now and won't be able to help anymore) talked about bonds between the atoms and molekyles.

He said something about the increasing enthropy which causes the ion-dipole bonds to weaken, and that's why energy is taken from the beer, which then gets cold.

He also, some way got the enthalpy for the reactants (2648 kj/mol) ...

Last edited:
You should look both at the enthalpy of melting of ice and the enthalpy of crystallization of salt. Likewise, you should think about what is entropy and how does it change when ice melts. How does it change when both ice melts and salt dissolves?

Related to Understanding Enthalpy: How Salting Crushed Ice Cools Beer Faster

1. What is enthalpy and how does it relate to cooling?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the work required to move the system. In the context of cooling, enthalpy is important because it determines the amount of energy needed to change the temperature of a substance.

2. How does salting crushed ice help to cool beer faster?

When salt is added to crushed ice, it lowers the freezing point of the ice. This means that the ice will melt at a lower temperature, absorbing more heat from the surrounding environment. This makes the ice colder and allows it to cool the beer more quickly.

3. Why is crushed ice more effective than cubed ice for cooling?

Crushed ice has a larger surface area compared to cubed ice, which means it comes into contact with the beer more quickly and efficiently. This allows for faster heat transfer and ultimately results in quicker cooling.

4. Is there a specific type of salt that is best for cooling beer?

Any type of salt can be used to cool beer, as long as it is in solid form. However, some salts may be more effective than others due to their chemical properties. For example, table salt (sodium chloride) is commonly used and is known for its ability to quickly lower the freezing point of water.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the cooling rate of beer using this method?

The temperature of the beer and the amount of salt used can also impact the cooling rate. Warmer beer may take longer to cool, and using too much salt can cause the ice to melt too quickly and decrease its cooling efficiency. Additionally, the type of container and its material may also play a role in the cooling rate.