Understanding Energy and Magnetism: Debunking Common Misconceptions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and potential energy in relation to two magnets. The magnets exert a constant force on each other and by pulling them apart, work is done and potential energy is increased. However, conservation of energy does not seem to work in this scenario and it is determined that the magnets have not lost any energy, but instead gained potential energy in the magnetic field between them. The previous statements about the left and right magnets losing energy are incorrect, as they actually gain potential energy. With this understanding, the concept is clarified.
HummusAkemi
I pry two magnets apart. The magnets attract each other. Say they exert a constant force F on each other. I exert an equivalent force F on each in the opposite direction and pull them apart a distance d (pull each of them d/2 distance). So I have done positive work Fd in total and increased the potential energy of the arrangement by Fd. The magnets have each done negative work -Fd/2 on each other.
Me: lost Fd energy
Left magnet: lost Fd/2 energy from work done on other magnet
Right magnet: lost Fd/2 energy from work done on other magnet
The potential energy of the arrangement rose by Fd.

Anyone tell me where I messed up? Because conservation of energy doesn't work out.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnets have not lost any energy - you have done work storing energy in the magnetic field between the magnets.
The amount of energy stored is the same as the work you did.

Τhe middle statements about the left and right magnet are wrong. The left magnet doesn't lose Fd/2 energy instead it gains Fd/2 potential energy. Similar right magnet gains Fd/2 potential energy. It is a gain in potential energy rather than a gain in kinetic energy that we would have if there was no magnetic field. You view that "possible" gain in kinetic energy as a loss which isn't really an energy loss, it is a gain in potential energy instead.

Thanks, you two. Ok, I think I get it now

Related to Understanding Energy and Magnetism: Debunking Common Misconceptions

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in many forms such as heat, light, sound, and motion.

2. Why is energy important?

Energy is essential for all living things and is crucial for various processes such as growth, movement, and metabolism. It also powers our technology and allows us to live comfortably.

3. What are the different types of energy?

There are several types of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (energy stored in an object), thermal energy (heat energy), chemical energy (stored in chemical bonds), and nuclear energy (stored in the nucleus of an atom).

4. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced in various ways, such as burning fossil fuels, harnessing wind or water, or using nuclear reactions. It can also be converted from one form to another through different processes.

5. What are some ways to conserve energy?

Conserving energy is essential for reducing our carbon footprint and protecting the environment. Some ways to conserve energy include using energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and using renewable energy sources.