Understanding Electron Flow in Direct Current

In summary, the movement of electrons in DC is driven by the attraction and repulsion of positive and negative charges. When a positive charge is applied at one end of a wire and a negative charge at the other, electrons are attracted towards the positive end and repelled by the negative end, causing them to flow from the positive end to the negative end. There is no "meeting in the middle" as the electrons are constantly being pushed and pulled by the charges.
Cash Fulton
I don't get DC. How do the electrons flow from one side to the other? Wouldn’t the electrons on both terminals just meet in the middle because of their attraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrons are repelled by negative charges (including other electrons) and attracted by positive charges. If I apply a positive charge at one end of a wire and a negative charge at the other, electrons will be attracted towards the positive end and repelled by the negative end, so will tend to move from the positive end to the negative end. There's no "meet in the middle" going on; no matter where in the wire the electrons are, they're being pushed by the negative charge behind them and pulled by the positive in front of them.

Likes Cash Fulton
Nugatory said:
Electrons are repelled by negative charges (including other electrons) and attracted by positive charges. If I apply a positive charge at one end of a wire and a negative charge at the other, electrons will be attracted towards the positive end and repelled by the negative end, so will tend to move from the positive end to the negative end. There's no "meet in the middle" going on; no matter where in the wire the electrons are, they're being pushed by the negative charge behind them and pulled by the positive in front of them.
Well explained sir!

Related to Understanding Electron Flow in Direct Current

1. What is direct current confusion?

Direct current confusion is a phenomenon that occurs when a person is unable to understand the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). This confusion can stem from a lack of knowledge about electrical circuits and their properties.

2. What are the main differences between DC and AC?

The main difference between DC and AC is the direction of the flow of electrons. In DC, the electrons flow in one direction, while in AC, they constantly alternate direction. Additionally, DC is typically used for low voltage and low power applications, while AC is used for higher voltage and power needs.

3. How can I identify if a device is using DC or AC?

The easiest way to identify if a device is using DC or AC is to look at the power source. If the device is plugged into an outlet, it is most likely using AC. If it is powered by a battery, it is using DC. Additionally, you can check the specifications or labeling on the device for more information.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between DC and AC?

Understanding the difference between DC and AC is important because it can affect the way electricity is used and how devices function. For example, certain devices may only be compatible with DC or AC power sources, and using the wrong type of current can damage the device or cause it to not work properly.

5. How can I avoid direct current confusion?

To avoid direct current confusion, it is important to educate yourself on the basics of electrical circuits and the properties of DC and AC. Additionally, always double check the power source and specifications of a device before using it to ensure you are using the correct type of current.