Understanding Electron Affinity and Ionization Potential in Chemistry

• Thread starter devanlevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, Electron affinity (EA) is the energy released when an electron is added to a gas-phase atom. It increases across a period and decreases down a group in the periodic table. However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as in the case of N, which has the smallest EA despite being in the farthest right and highest row. In terms of atomic radius, the order from highest to lowest EA is C> Li> K> N. However, there is some discrepancy in the EA values depending on the source.
devanlevin
In chemistry, what are the laws for finding electron affinity?
i need to rate these elements, from highest electron affinity to lowest, using only a periodic table, and the laws of electron affinity
Li K N C
the answer is
C> Li> K> N

i then need to do the same for Ionization potential

Physics news on Phys.org
Electron affinity (EA) is essentially the energy released when an electron is added to a gas-phase atom. EA increases as you move from left to right across the periodic table. And it decreases as you move down the table. The same increase/decrease relationship can be applied to ionization energy (though I'm not 100% sure if ionization energy <=> ionization potential)

from what i understand there are exception to that rule, something to do with symetry of the electron configuration,
like in this excercise
N is the furthest to the right and in the highest row of the 4 but has the smallest ea,

devanlevin said:
from what i understand there are exception to that rule, something to do with symetry of the electron configuration,
like in this excercise
N is the furthest to the right and in the highest row of the 4 but has the smallest ea,

hi

we have just finished the Electron-negativity, Ionization Potential and Electron Affinity Chapter

are you sure that N has the smallest EA?

if i had given a question like the one above, my answer would be this:

N > C > Li > K

my answer is according to the Atomic Radius of each Atom

as you can see N has the smallest Atomic Radius and K has the biggest.

( I'm sorry if my English is not understood :blushing:)

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~ltemgoua/chemistry/Electron_affinity.html

check it out, the numbers are the EA in Kj/mol, not exactly the way you guys say

Last edited by a moderator:
devanlevin said:
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~ltemgoua/chemistry/Electron_affinity.html

check it out, the numbers are the EA in Kj/mol, not exactly the way you guys say

hi again!

I'm sorry, I think if this question was asked to students that specialized in Chemistry,
They would have known about the exception.

but for me I'm an 11th grade student.

in answering either EA comparisons questions or any of the other related topics i follow the rule given in the link.

"Eea increases across a period (row) (since the radius slightly decreases, because of the increased attraction from the nucleus, and the number of electrons in the top shell increases, helping the atom reach maximum stability) in the periodic table and decrease going down a group (family) (because of a large increase in radius and number of electrons that decrease the stability of the atom, repulsing each other)".

but after seeing the link I think your answer is correcttake care!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Electron Affinity and Ionization Potential in Chemistry

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the energy released or absorbed when an atom or molecule gains an electron to form a negative ion. It is a measure of how much an atom or molecule is able to attract and hold onto an extra electron.

2. How is electron affinity different from ionization potential?

Electron affinity is the opposite of ionization potential. While electron affinity measures an atom's ability to gain an electron, ionization potential measures an atom's ability to lose an electron and form a positive ion. In other words, electron affinity refers to the attraction of an atom for an electron, while ionization potential measures the energy required to remove an electron from an atom.

3. What factors affect electron affinity and ionization potential?

The main factors that affect electron affinity and ionization potential are the atomic structure, atomic size, and electronegativity of an element. Generally, elements with a smaller atomic size and higher electronegativity tend to have higher electron affinity and ionization potential.

4. What is the significance of understanding electron affinity and ionization potential in chemistry?

Understanding electron affinity and ionization potential is crucial in predicting and explaining the chemical behavior of elements and compounds. These properties determine the reactivity and stability of atoms and molecules, and play a key role in chemical reactions and bonding.

5. How are electron affinity and ionization potential measured?

Electron affinity and ionization potential can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as photoelectron spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and electron impact ionization. The values obtained from these measurements are expressed in units of energy, typically electron volts (eV).