Understanding Electric Fields: Solving Problems with Giancoli's Physics Textbook

In summary, the person needs help with a physics problem involving charges on a square and calculating the resultant electric field. They do not want the exact answer but need help understanding how to solve it. They are using a book by Giancoli and are on chapter 16.
cs350rckt
I need help with physics...I don't want answers...that's for cheaters, and can retrieve the answers...I need help understand how the answer came to be. The book I'm using is giancoli, I'm on chapter 16 Electric Charge and Electric Field.:eek: I have a square with both + and - charges of 6.00mC on opposite corners and the distance between the charges is .100m, how do I solve this I tried using an example in the book but my answer did not match up...help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there charges on all four corners, or just two?

You never stated the question in full (most of us don't own the book, so don't cite where it came from, just give a good description of the problem). So, for example, I have no clue what you're even trying to solve for

Find the resultant electric field probably.

Related to Understanding Electric Fields: Solving Problems with Giancoli's Physics Textbook

1. What is the purpose of studying physics?

The purpose of studying physics is to develop a scientific understanding of the natural world and its underlying principles. It helps us explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy, which are fundamental to all aspects of the universe.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage in the learning process. This can include attending lectures, participating in discussions, asking questions, and practicing problems. You can also use online resources, textbooks, and study groups to reinforce your understanding.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that it is only applicable to complex topics and that it is only for "geniuses". In reality, physics concepts can be applied to everyday situations and anyone can learn and understand the basic principles with effort and practice.

4. How can I approach solving physics problems?

When solving physics problems, it is important to first understand the given information and identify what is being asked. Next, you can use the relevant equations and concepts to solve for the unknown variable. It is also helpful to double check your calculations and be mindful of units and significant figures.

5. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications, such as in technology, engineering, medicine, and environmental science. It helps us understand and develop new technologies, build structures and machines, and even explore the universe. Some examples of everyday applications include electricity, magnetism, and mechanics in everyday devices such as smartphones and cars.