Understanding Ecube Routing: XOR Logic Explained | 001 & 010 Destination

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, E-cube routing involves finding the distance between a source and destination vertex, and then determining a path based on the XOR result of their coordinates. In the conversation, the source is at 001 and destination is at 010, so the distance is 2 and the path involves two legs from 000 to 001 and then to 010. The concept is explained in more detail in the article provided.
zak100
Homework Statement
Can't Understand Ecube Routing
Relevant Equations
It works using XOR principle
Hi,
I can’t understand the concept of Ecube routing. Our src = 001 & dest = 010. XOR of 001 and 010 = 011. So why are we going to 000 instead of 011.

Zulfi.
Ecube eg.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an explanation of E-cube routing and a similar figure here: http://parallelcomp.uw.hu/ch02lev1sec6.html
To get from a source vertex to a destination vertex involves two operations: finding the distance between the two vertices, and then determining a path.

In your example, the source point, ##P_s## is at 001. The destination point, ##P_d## is at 010.
001 XOR 010 = 011, which you show. Count the number of 1 bits to get the distance, which is 2. This means that to get from one point to the other, a path of two edges has to be found.

To determine the path, the first leg will be in the direction of the least significant nonzero bit in the XOR result, 011. If you think about this bit pattern as x, y, z coordinates, in that order, the least significant bit is a 1 in the z-coordinate position, so the first leg of the path goes from 000 to 001.

The next leg of the path is determined by the 1 in the middle position of 011, which is the y-coordinate, so that leg goes from 000 to 010.

Here's a drawing of the coordinate system I'm using, based on your attached image. Your starting point is below the origin, on the z-axis. To get to the destination point, you first go to the origin, and then to the point to the right of the origin, on the y-axis.
xyz.png

Hi Mark44, Very Good Answer. Thanks for solving my problem.

God bless you.

Zulfi.

Everything I now know about E-cube routing I learned from the article I linked to. I had never heard of it before...

Related to Understanding Ecube Routing: XOR Logic Explained | 001 & 010 Destination

1. What is Ecube Routing and how does it work?

Ecube Routing is a routing protocol used in computer networks to efficiently deliver data packets from one source to multiple destinations. It works by using XOR logic to determine the best path for each packet, based on the destination addresses.

2. What is XOR logic and how is it used in Ecube Routing?

XOR logic stands for "exclusive OR" and is a logical operation that compares two binary values. In Ecube Routing, XOR logic is used to determine the best path for each packet by comparing the destination address of the packet with the addresses of the available paths. The path with the closest match to the destination address is chosen for the packet to be routed through.

3. What are the advantages of using Ecube Routing?

Ecube Routing offers several advantages, including increased network efficiency, reduced network traffic, and improved fault tolerance. By using XOR logic, it can efficiently route packets to multiple destinations without overloading any particular path. It also has the ability to dynamically adapt to network changes, making it more resilient to failures.

4. How does Ecube Routing handle situations where multiple paths have the same destination address match?

In cases where multiple paths have the same destination address match, Ecube Routing uses a load balancing technique to evenly distribute the packets among these paths. This helps to prevent any one path from becoming overloaded and ensures efficient delivery of packets to their destinations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Ecube Routing?

While Ecube Routing offers many benefits, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it requires a significant amount of processing power and memory to maintain the routing tables and perform XOR logic calculations. Additionally, it may not be suitable for networks with a large number of destinations or constantly changing network topologies.