Understanding E=mc^2: How Heat Affects Mass in Einstein's Theory of Relativity

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling with physics and is seeking help. The main topic discussed is the mass-energy equivalence and how the mass of a frying pan changes when heated or cooled. The student is reassured that they have the right understanding and are advised to practice and work on problems to improve their understanding of physics.
pinkie
I posted this on the college board, but think it should go here. It is a college course, but at a high school level.
I feel kind of silly because this is probably a very basic problem, but I'm having problems with physics in general. Would anyone be able to tell me if I'm on the right track for the following question (we are focusing on Einstein's theories of relativity right now)?

1. Is the mass of a frying pan different when it is hot compared to when it is cold?

Yes it is, as E=mc^2 proves. Because the mass is equivalent to the energy of the object, when the energy increases, so does the mass. As energy increases when an object is heated, the mass of the pan will also increase when it is heated. The mass will decrease when the pan is cool and the energy has decreased.

~~
I hope I have this right. Lately I feel very hopeless at physics. Any help or comment would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
pinkie said:
Yes it is, as E=mc^2 proves. Because the mass is equivalent to the energy of the object, when the energy increases, so does the mass. As energy increases when an object is heated, the mass of the pan will also increase when it is heated. The mass will decrease when the pan is cool and the energy has decreased.
Yes. You seem to grasp the essential point about mass-energy equivalence (as long as you understand that the change in mass is so small as to be unmeasureable).

Physics seems hard, in part, because it builds on concepts and principles. If you are having trouble, go back and redo something you think you really understand and work back up to the thing you are trying to understand. You will invariably find that there was something earlier that you thought you understood but didn't quite. Also work on problems, problems and more problems.

And then again physics seems hard because it is. But that just makes it all the more rewarding when you discover that you understand something new. Like E=mc^2.

AM

Thank you. I really appreciate the help. Physics is very new to me, so I guess you are right to tell me to practice. Thanks again. :)

Related to Understanding E=mc^2: How Heat Affects Mass in Einstein's Theory of Relativity

1. What does E=mc^2 mean?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation discovered by Albert Einstein, which shows the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). The equation states that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other. It also shows that a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy, as seen in nuclear reactions.

2. How does E=mc^2 relate to heat?

E=mc^2 does not directly relate to heat, as heat is a form of energy, while E=mc^2 shows the relationship between energy and mass. However, the equation can be used to calculate the amount of energy released in a nuclear reaction, which can then be converted into heat energy.

3. Can E=mc^2 be applied to everyday life?

Yes, E=mc^2 is applicable in everyday life. It is used in various fields, such as nuclear energy, nuclear weapons, medical imaging, and even in the production of electricity. The equation also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies.

4. Why is the speed of light (c) squared in E=mc^2?

The speed of light (c) is squared in the equation because it is a constant value, meaning it does not change. By squaring the value, it becomes a larger number, making it easier to see the relationship between energy and mass. This also shows that even a small amount of mass can produce a significant amount of energy.

5. Is E=mc^2 a proven theory?

Yes, E=mc^2 is a proven theory that has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. It is one of the fundamental principles of modern physics and has been used in countless applications, making it one of the most well-established theories in science.