Understanding E=mc^2: Exploring Mass-Energy Conversion

• Thread starter K8181
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary, the true meaning of E=mc^2 is that mass and energy are the same thing and can be converted into each other. This is known as mass-energy conservation. While mass is typically associated with inertia and gravity, energy also has these properties. The factor of c^2 in the equation is a large number that shows the amount of energy needed to equal the gravitational force of mass. The mass of a uranium nucleus is actually less than the sum of its parts, and this difference is due to the potential energy of the bound system being less than when the protons and neutrons are completely separated. Both mass and energy contribute to the curvature of spacetime and are treated equally in General Relativity. In summary, E=
K8181
I have a question about the true meaning of E=mc^2. For starters, a certain amount of mass (m) can be converted into an amount of energy (mc^2), or vice versa. For example, two antiparticles can annihilate and leave only energy behind. So it is mass-energy that is a conserved quantity, not each one alone.

That being said, it is my impression that mass is still one thing, and energy is another, albeit that they can be converted into each other. Mass has ties to inertia and gravity that energy does not. For example, consider a system, something like a uranium nucleus, that spontaneously decays. It is said that "the mass of the nucleus before the fission is greater than the sum of the constituent parts". This basically accounts for the potential energy (that manifests itself as kinetic energy upon fission) as extra rest mass.

But to quote the rest mass of the uranium nucleus as including this potential energy does not make sense to me. Will the nucleus in fact behave as though it has this extra mass, for example if I apply a force to it (hypothetically) and measure the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy and mass are actually the same thing even gravitationally; energy feels (and exerts) a gravitational force just like mass. An empty box weighs less than a box full of light; photons follow curves when moving near large masses. The factor of c^2 is very large, however, so it takes an incredible amount of energy to come close to the gravitational attraction of mass. For example, the energy released by the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in WWII was equivalent to about one gram of mass. This disparity means that we don't think much about energy as exerting gravitational force or having inertia, but, indeed, it's just the same as mass.

If you're interested, both mass and energy (all forms -- pressures, radiation, and so on) are treated quite equally as components of a mathematical object called the "stress-energy tensor" in General Relativity, Einstein's theory of gravitation. All forms of mass and energy contribute to the curvature of spacetime, which is what most people regard as the "gravitational field."

- Warren

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for a great answer. That clears up a lot of misunderstanding I had. :smile:

K8181 said:
But to quote the rest mass of the uranium nucleus as including this potential energy does not make sense to me. Will the nucleus in fact behave as though it has this extra mass, for example if I apply a force to it (hypothetically) and measure the acceleration?

Note that this "extra" mass is actually a "deficiency" because the mass of a uranium nucleus is less than the sum of the masses of the neutrons and protons that it's made of. The potential energy of the bound system is less than the potential energy of a bunch of completely separated protons and neutrons. We have to do work (a lot of it!) on the protons and neutrons in order to separate them completely.

And we in fact measure that mass by applying a force and measuring the acceleration. In a mass spectrometer, we send a beam of uranium (or whatever) ions through a perpendicular, uniform magnetic field and measure the radius of curvature of the beam produced by the magnetic force. In most second-year "modern physics" textbooks you'll find a table of atomic masses with a precision of six significant figures or so. That's where those numbers come from.

Isn't that backwards...? I thought a uranium nucleus should have a mass greater than the sum of its parts, since it is heavier than iron and thus "over the hump" on the curve of binding energy? No?

jtbell,

I do believe you have it backwards, also.

- Warren

K8181 said:
I thought a uranium nucleus should have a mass greater than the sum of its parts, since it is heavier than iron and thus "over the hump" on the curve of binding energy?

That depends on which set of "parts" you're talking about.

I see now that you were thinking of a typical fission reaction in which a uranium nucleus produces two smaller nuclei and a couple of neutrons to continue the chain reaction. In this case, the sum of the masses of the products is less than the mass of the uranium nucleus, and the mass difference shows up as kinetic energy of the products.

I was talking about taking apart the uranium nucleus completely, into individual neutrons and protons. There's no contradiction because in the fission reaction, the product nuclei are more tightly bound than the uranium nucleus, so the potential energy per nucleon is less in the products than in uranium.

Sorry about the confusion... :frown:

Note that I'm using "less" to mean "lower", not "smaller in magnitude." The potential energy of a nucleus is always negative, because in these situations we customarily define the potential energy to be zero when the constituent protons and neutrons are completely separated, and effectively not interacting with each other at all. So "less" here means "more negative."

Last edited:

Related to Understanding E=mc^2: Exploring Mass-Energy Conversion

1. What does E=mc^2 mean?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation proposed by Albert Einstein, which states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (m) of an object multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2). It shows the relationship between mass and energy, and how they can be converted into each other.

2. How does E=mc^2 relate to mass-energy conversion?

E=mc^2 is the mathematical representation of mass-energy equivalence, which is the concept that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other. This equation shows that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy.

3. What is the significance of E=mc^2 in science?

E=mc^2 is significant because it revolutionized our understanding of the physical world and laid the foundation for modern physics. It also led to the development of nuclear power and weapons, as it showed how a small amount of matter can release a massive amount of energy.

4. How is E=mc^2 used in practical applications?

E=mc^2 is used in practical applications such as nuclear power plants, where the energy released from splitting atoms is converted into electricity. It is also used in medical technology, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which use the mass-energy conversion of radioactive substances to create images of the body.

5. Is E=mc^2 applicable to all objects?

Yes, E=mc^2 is applicable to all objects, regardless of their size or mass. However, the effects of mass-energy conversion are only noticeable for objects with extremely high speeds or in nuclear reactions. For everyday objects, the amount of energy released would be very small and not easily measurable.