Understanding Dispersion Relations in Fluid Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in fluids involving a dispersion relation and the propagation of a one-dimensional surface disturbance. The problem involves four equations and a set of plots, and the conversation mentions using relationships between phase and group velocities to match the plots with the equations. The speaker also expresses confusion about the mapping between k-space and x-space and asks about the information that can be gathered from the dispersion relationship without fully solving the PDE.
nickthequick
I am having trouble understanding a basic problem in fluids that came up during an exam I took last quarter. Namely, we are given a dispersion relation and asked to quantify how a one dimensional surface disturbance propagates in space. (The disturbance is initially an approximate delta function at the origin).

The problem was the following.
Given
(1) [tex]\sigma^2 = c^2k^2 [/tex]
(2) [tex]\sigma^2=c^2(k^2+\epsilon k^4) [/tex]
(3) [tex]\sigma^2=c^2(k^2-\epsilon k^4)[/tex]
(4) [tex]\sigma^2=c^2k^2 +f^2 [/tex]
where k is the wavenumber and c is the phase speed, f and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] are constants and [tex]\sigma [/tex] is the angular frequency

We are then asked to identity, with proper justification, which of the following plots go with which dispersion relation. (file is attached)

I was able to properly match up pairs by considering relationships between phase and group velocities. Analytically I know that you can attack this problem by analyzing the stationary phase of the inverse Fourier transform of the initial PDE; however, I am looking for a more physical approach to the problem.

Basically my question is this: what information can we gather about the propagation of the disturbance through analysis of the dispersion relationship without actually fully solving the PDE?

(I think I am confused about the mapping (through the FT) between k-space and x-space)

Attachments

• figure_2.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 257
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the plots. Where do we have no dispersion, and thus no change in the shape of the wave packet. A peak contains all frequencies, which plot looks as if strongly oscillating waves travel faster, which one looks as is they travel slower, and which one looks as if very slowly oscillating waves don't travel at all?

Related to Understanding Dispersion Relations in Fluid Dynamics

1. What are dispersion relations in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, dispersion relations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of waves in a fluid medium. They are used to understand how different types of waves, such as sound waves and surface waves, propagate through fluids.

2. How do dispersion relations affect fluid behavior?

Dispersion relations play a crucial role in determining the behavior of fluids. They can affect the speed, direction, and amplitude of waves, as well as the stability and turbulence of fluid flow. Understanding dispersion relations is essential for predicting and controlling fluid behavior in various applications.

3. What factors influence the dispersion relations of a fluid?

The dispersion relations of a fluid are influenced by several factors, including the density, viscosity, and compressibility of the fluid, as well as the geometry of the container or medium in which the waves are propagating. Other external factors such as temperature and pressure can also affect dispersion relations.

4. How are dispersion relations derived in fluid dynamics?

Dispersion relations are derived using mathematical models and equations that describe the properties of fluids, such as the Navier-Stokes equations and the continuity equation. These equations are then solved to determine the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of waves in a specific fluid medium.

5. What are the applications of understanding dispersion relations in fluid dynamics?

A thorough understanding of dispersion relations is essential for many practical applications, including weather forecasting, oceanography, aeronautics, and designing fluid systems in various industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and biomedical. It is also crucial for developing new technologies and improving existing ones that involve the use of fluids.