Understanding Dilution Principles in Nuclear Power Plant Disasters

In summary, a mechanical engineering student has a question about the dilution principles of water in relation to radioactive particles in the ocean. They also question the safety of building nuclear power plants near the ocean. The expert summarizes that the water only lowers the concentration of radioactivity, making it less harmful, and that the safety concerns are related to natural disasters.
LT72884
I am a mechanical engineering student who is taking his first chemistry class this upcomming semester. I have a question regarding water and its dilution principles. I have reading up on how Nuclear power plants work. I am curious to how the ocean water disolves and dilutes the radioactive particles form the leak. How does it actually effect the radioactive material? Does that "nuteralized" or "disolved" radioactive material still float around in the water? if it does, is that not harmful? if not, please explain why.

My second question, Shouldnt a nuclear power plant be built by the ocean or totally away from it? The reason i ask, Our state, Utah, has approved a nuclear power plant here and they approved it after the japan incident.

Thank you much for you help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first question, the effect in the ocean is simply the lowering of concentration by dilution. The water has no effect on the radioactivity itself. Since the harm it does is very much dependent on concentration, it becomes less harmful as a result of this dilution.

Near ocean or away is basically a question of the dangers of natural phenomena such as earthquakes, hurricanes, tidal waves, etc. Presumably to approve a plant, it is necessary for the owners to demonstrate how it plans to cope with such things.

The effect is similar to diluting a poison with large amounts of water. The poison would still hurt you, but much less so than a non diluted poison. The poison itself, in regards to the chemistry of the molecule, is still just as deadly, there is just less of it per volume when it is diluted.

Related to Understanding Dilution Principles in Nuclear Power Plant Disasters

1. What is dilution?

Dilution is the process of adding water to a solution in order to decrease its concentration. This can be done in order to reduce the strength of a solution or to increase the volume of a solution.

2. Why is dilution important?

Dilution is important in many scientific processes, such as in chemistry experiments, to accurately measure and control the concentration of a solution. It is also used in the purification of water and in medical treatments.

3. How is dilution calculated?

Dilution can be calculated using the dilution equation: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume. This equation allows you to determine the amount of water needed to dilute a solution to a desired concentration.

4. Can dilution affect the properties of water?

Yes, dilution can affect the properties of water. When water is diluted, the concentration of dissolved substances, such as minerals and salts, decreases. This can change the taste, pH, and other properties of the water.

5. What are some common uses of dilution in everyday life?

Dilution is commonly used in everyday life for activities such as making tea or coffee, mixing juice concentrates, and cleaning products. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing to control the concentration of solutions.