Understanding Differential to Calculus Basics

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of differential in calculus and the difference between $\Delta z$ and $dz$. The speaker suggests moving away from a non-rigorous approach and recommends reading real analysis books for a better understanding.
Yankel
Hello,

I have a theoretical question, I am struggling to understand the meaning of differential. I know the formula, I read it all in the calculus textbook. I don't understand what is the meaning, maybe geometric interpretation and use.

In addition, I don't understand the difference between dz and

\[\Delta z\]

or between dx and

\[\Delta x\]

and same goes for y.

Oh, and I am talking about functions with two variables z=f(x,y)

(not that in 1 variable I do understand it)

if you can explain it in an understandable way I would appreciate it...

thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello,

I have a theoretical question, I am struggling to understand the meaning of differential. I know the formula, I read it all in the calculus textbook. I don't understand what is the meaning, maybe geometric interpretation and use.

In addition, I don't understand the difference between dz and

\[\Delta z\]

or between dx and

\[\Delta x\]

and same goes for y.

Oh, and I am talking about functions with two variables z=f(x,y)

(not that in 1 variable I do understand it)

if you can explain it in an understandable way I would appreciate it...

thanks !
You are currently following the non-rigorous approach to calculus and it is good that you are having such questions.

To differentiate between $\Delta z$ and $dz$ first you should know the definitions of both of these.

Say $z:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R$ be a real function.
Then $\Delta z$ is quantity which represents the difference between the values $z$ achieves at two different points of its domain.
It is a quantity of the type $z(b)-z(a)$.
Not much of a definition really.

As for $dz$, I don't think anybody has ever defined it.
It appeals to our intuition. You may have seen the use of the word 'infinitesimal' when somebody tries to explain the meaning of $dz$. But what is an 'infinitesimal'? An infinitesimal has a precise definition, but on the real number line infinitesimals do not exist. And that is why infinitesimals are no longer talked about in modern texts (which develop calculus on real numbers).

So what is the solution to your problem?

I think you should start reading calculus with a rigorous approach.
Any real analysis book will help you understand single-variable calculus and books like 'Calculus on Manifolds' by Spivak and 'Analysis on Manifolds' by Munkres will help you understand multivariable-calculus rigorously.

Related to Understanding Differential to Calculus Basics

1. What is a differential?

A differential is a mathematical concept in calculus that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. Why is understanding differentials important in calculus?

Differentials are essential in calculus because they allow us to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point. This is especially useful when dealing with complex functions that cannot be easily evaluated using traditional methods.

3. How is a differential different from a derivative?

A differential is the result of a derivative calculation, while a derivative is a function that describes the rate of change of a function at each point. In other words, a differential is a single value, while a derivative is a function that can take on multiple values.

4. What are the properties of differentials?

The properties of differentials include linearity, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Linearity means that the differential of a sum or difference of functions is the sum or difference of their differentials. The product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule are methods for calculating the differential of a product, quotient, or composite function, respectively.

5. How can I use differentials to solve real-world problems?

Differentials can be used to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point, which has many practical applications. For example, they can be used to estimate the velocity, acceleration, or growth rate of a system at a given time. They are also useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.