Understanding delayed choice experiment

In summary, the delayed choice double slit experiment shows that the decision to observe or not observe the detector does not affect the pattern observed on the screen. The interference pattern can only be seen in coincidence counts and is not directly visible on the screen. Destroying the detectors and information does not change the results. The presence or absence of conscious observers also does not have any influence on the outcome of the experiment.
rajeshmarndi
What I understand from the delayed choice double slit experiment, is that , only after we see in the detector of the whereabout of the particle, we get the patter according to it. That is if we have destroyed the detector and then we observe the screen we get an wave pattern. Barbecue we didn't have the access to the information of the particle whereabout.

That is only after we decide whether to check the detector or not, we find the result on the screen according to our decision/action i.e before that there was no pattern on the screen. Which is why it is called delayed choice experiment.

So what will be the pattern on the screen? when the detector record which slit the particle passed, but the detector is not looked at first instead the screen is observed first for the pattern and there is an sincere intention from our side to destroy the detector once the whatsoever pattern is observed on the screen without looking at the detector as we had honestly intended to destroy it and we did. What will be the pattern found?

Because after observing the screen, anyhow we are destroying the detector/information completely i.e we will be not having any information of the particle which slit it passed. So according to it, we should get an wave pattern?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert on this topic, but I think it is perfectly possible first to observe interference pattern consisting of many spots and then check the history of recorded detection on both detectors.

rajeshmarndi said:
What I understand from the delayed choice double slit experiment, is that , only after we see in the detector of the whereabout of the particle, we get the patter according to it. That is if we have destroyed the detector and then we observe the screen we get an wave pattern. Barbecue we didn't have the access to the information of the particle whereabout.

That is only after we decide whether to check the detector or not, we find the result on the screen according to our decision/action i.e before that there was no pattern on the screen. Which is why it is called delayed choice experiment.

No matter what you do, the patterns found directly on the screen are never interference patterns, but always just simple diffraction patterns or something similar. You cannot influence these patterns seen at the screen at all.

Patterns will only occur in coincidence counting. That means you take all the detection events at the screen, keep only those detection events that happened simultaneously with some other well defined detection event at another detector and throw away all the other ones. This specific subset can give an interference pattern depending on whether a detection on that second detector carries which-way information or not.

So the delayed basically comes from the fact that the decision whether the detection at that second detector offers which-way information or not is made after the first photon has already been detected. However, as the pattern is only visible in coincidence counts, this does not change the pattern at the screen at all, but only the detections at that second detector.

rajeshmarndi said:
So what will be the pattern on the screen? when the detector record which slit the particle passed, but the detector is not looked at first instead the screen is observed first for the pattern and there is an sincere intention from our side to destroy the detector once the whatsoever pattern is observed on the screen without looking at the detector as we had honestly intended to destroy it and we did. What will be the pattern found?

What you intend to do does not create any changes. You do not influence the observed pattern.

rajeshmarndi said:
Because after observing the screen, anyhow we are destroying the detector/information completely i.e we will be not having any information of the particle which slit it passed. So according to it, we should get an wave pattern?

The interference pattern will only occur in coincidence counts. Destroying all the detectors and information recorded will basically just rob you of the opportunity to pick the correct coincidnce count subset which would give you the interference pattern. Also in this situation, destroying detectors does not change the pattern on the screen.

You cannot destroy the detector and expect the results to change. The ordering of the actions (ie whether the choice is delayed or not) does not change the results.

The standard rule is that if, in principle, it was possible to learn which slit the particle went through, there is no interference. It does not matter whether you actually view the answer or not. The particle does not care whether the information was used or not, just whether the setup could have been used for that purpose.

The erasing part must occur within the system for it to make any difference. You cannot erase once the information exits the system.

DrChinese said:
The particle does not care whether the information was used or not
This is what is interesting in the delayed choice experiment, if I'm right, if the detector is destroyed without looking at the information, and then we observe the screen, we get an interference pattern.

rajeshmarndi said:
if I'm right, if the detector is destroyed without looking at the information, and then we observe the screen, we get an interference pattern.

The answer to that question has already been given to you:

DrChinese said:
You cannot destroy the detector and expect the results to change.

What you do to the detectors is completely irrelevant and there are absolutely no signs of the presence or absence of conscious observers having any influence on the outcome of the delayed choice experiment. Also, note that the interference pattern is NEVER directly visible on the screen in delayed choice experiments as I already pointed out in my last post. You always need postprocessing to get it.

Related to Understanding delayed choice experiment

1. What is a delayed choice experiment?

A delayed choice experiment is a type of quantum physics experiment that involves making a decision about how to measure or observe a particle after it has already passed through a certain point in space. This challenges the traditional notion that an event can only have one outcome and shows that the observer's choice can affect the outcome of the experiment.

2. How does a delayed choice experiment work?

In a delayed choice experiment, a particle is sent through a series of detectors or barriers, which can either act as wave-like or particle-like depending on how they are observed. The decision about how to observe the particle is made after it has already passed through these barriers, demonstrating the impact of the observer's choice on the behavior of the particle.

3. What is the significance of delayed choice experiments?

Delayed choice experiments challenge our understanding of cause and effect, as they suggest that the future can influence the past. This has major implications for our understanding of time and the role of consciousness in shaping reality. They also provide evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter and the concept of quantum superposition.

4. How are delayed choice experiments related to quantum mechanics?

Delayed choice experiments are a key component of quantum mechanics, as they demonstrate the probabilistic nature of particles and the impact of the observer on the outcome of an experiment. They also support the concept of entanglement, where particles can be connected and influenced by each other regardless of distance.

5. Are delayed choice experiments only theoretical or have they been conducted?

Delayed choice experiments have been conducted in laboratory settings, although they can be challenging to set up and control. Some notable examples include the double-slit experiment and the quantum eraser experiment. These experiments have provided strong evidence for the strange behavior of particles at the quantum level and support the validity of quantum mechanics.