Understanding De Broglie Matter Waves: How to Simplify E/p=c^2/v?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the velocity of a DeBroglie wave, which is given by the equation nu*lambda=2*pi*nu*(lambda/2*pi)=omega/k=E/p=c^2/v. The speaker is struggling to understand how E/p=c^2/v, and it is suggested that they use the relativistic formulas for E and p instead of the low-speed approximations.
AStaunton
Just a very quick question:

in my notes I have the velocity of a DeBroglie wave is given by:

[tex]\nu\lambda=2\pi\nu\frac{\lambda}{2\pi}=\frac{\omega}{k}=\frac{E}{p}=\frac{c^{2}}{v}[/tex]

I can't figure out how he want from E/p=c^2/v.

I think the assumption is made that E is approximately equal to mc^2+(1/2)mv^2 and p=mv:

[tex]\implies\frac{E}{p}=\frac{m_{0}c^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{0}v^{2}}{m_{0}v}[/tex]

but I still can't see how the above simplifies to c^2/v!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the relativistic formulas for E and p, rather than the low-speed approximations.

Related to Understanding De Broglie Matter Waves: How to Simplify E/p=c^2/v?

What are De Broglie Matter Waves?

De Broglie Matter Waves, also known as matter waves or de Broglie waves, are a concept in quantum mechanics proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie. They suggest that all particles, including matter particles like electrons and protons, can also exhibit wave-like behavior.

What is the equation for De Broglie Matter Waves?

The equation for De Broglie Matter Waves is λ = h/mv, where λ represents the wavelength of the particle, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

How are De Broglie Matter Waves different from other types of waves?

De Broglie Matter Waves are different from other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, in that they are associated with matter particles. Unlike electromagnetic waves, which can travel through a vacuum, matter waves require a medium to propagate, such as the space around an atom.

What is the significance of De Broglie Matter Waves in quantum mechanics?

The concept of De Broglie Matter Waves was a major breakthrough in quantum mechanics, as it helped explain the wave-particle duality of matter. It also led to the development of important theories, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles.

Can De Broglie Matter Waves be observed?

De Broglie Matter Waves have been observed in various experiments, such as the famous double-slit experiment, which demonstrated the wave-like behavior of electrons. However, their wavelengths are extremely small, making them difficult to observe in everyday situations.