Understanding Dark Energy and the Accelerating Expansion of the Universe

In summary: The basic idea is that the universe is actually expanding faster than we thought because there's this extra something called Dark Energy that is pushing the universe apart. But the name 'Dark Energy' can be confusing because it's not the same energy that causes the sun to rise and set. So sometimes people call it 'energy dark' or 'dark energy' and sometimes they call it 'cosmic inflation' or 'the big bang acceleration'.But the bottom line is that the Hubble Parameter is still decreasing even with Dark Energy acceleration, which is why the Hubble sphere is still expanding."At the big bang, there was an expansion. At first, the rate of the expansion of the
Daniel K
I'm not qualified to purpose a theory at all, however I want to ask a question to see what the problem is with my reasoning. Could someone explain why this wouldn't produce the same results as we are observing today?

At the big bang, there was an expansion. At first, the rate of the expansion of the the universe decelerated due to gravity attempting to put everything back into a singularity. As time continued, however, the matter and therefore mass of everything within the confines of the universe spread out. This dispersal made the gravity in the universe significantly weaker, and so the expansion began to accelerate. This would explain why the universe is accelerating in expansion.

Space news on Phys.org
Daniel K said:
At the big bang, there was an expansion. At first, the rate of the expansion of the universe decelerated due to gravity attempting to put everything back into a singularity. As time continued, however, the matter and therefore mass of everything within the confines of the universe spread out. This dispersal made the gravity in the universe significantly weaker, and so the expansion began to accelerate. This would explain why the universe is accelerating in expansion.
No it would not. Gravity caused by matter is still attractive and if matter was all there was there would always be deceleration, although it would decrease as the universe expanded. In order to model an accelerated expansion you need something like dark energy.

Orodruin said:
No it would not. Gravity caused by matter is still attractive and if matter was all there was there would always be deceleration, although it would decrease as the universe expanded. In order to model an accelerated expansion you need something like dark energy.

However if the deceleration within the universe started to decrease, wouldn't we observe this as acceleration?

Phyics111 said:
However if the deceleration within the universe started to decrease, wouldn't we observe this as acceleration?

No. If your car is decelerating(i.e going slower), and it begins to decelerate at a slower rate (i.e. still losing speed, but losing speed at a slower rate), do you think it is accelerating (i.e going faster)?

phyzguy said:
No. If your car is decelerating(i.e going slower), and it begins to decelerate at a slower rate (i.e. still losing speed, but losing speed at a slower rate), do you think it is accelerating (i.e going faster)?

Well I didn't think the universe was accelerating, at least not in the conventional manner.
I thought that all this screaming of acceleration was just that the rate of decline in expansion was decreasing.

If the universe was truly accelerating, how could the Hubble sphere continue to grow?

Phyics111 said:
If the universe was truly accelerating, how could the Hubble sphere continue to grow?
The Hubble sphere presently still grows due to a significant amount of mass-energy around (~30%), but the 70% dark energy already dominates, causing a mild acceleration in the expansion. When mass-energy eventually gets diluted into insignificance, the Hubble sphere will remain constant in proper distance terms.
upload_2015-12-14_6-41-45.png

V_gen (red) tracks the recession rate of a galaxy that is presently on the Hubble sphere. The curve for the Hubble radius is the inverse of Ho.

Jorrie said:
The Hubble sphere presently still grows due to a significant amount of mass-energy around (~30%), but the 70% dark energy already dominates, causing a mild acceleration in the expansion. When mass-energy eventually gets diluted to insignificance, the Hubble sphere will remain constant in proper distance terms.

Oh. I was told this:
"So leaving Dark Energy acceleration aside for now, the essential fact of the size of the Hubble Sphere is that it expands when the overall expansion rate of the universe is slowing down...and the overall expansion has been slowing down ever since the big bang when space and energy first burst outward. So the Hubble Sphere has been expanding in size relative to the rest of the universe over all of the age of the universe too.

That's the basic picture...and that was the total picture until 1998 when astrophysicists made a hugely important (2011 Nobel Prize winning) discovery that is usually just described in the popular science media as the ACCELERATION of the universe. Something called "Dark Energy" was theoretically postulated to explain it. On a surface level...for someone who knows that the universe has been slowing down and that the Hubble Parameter has been decreasing over all the age of the universe...this is confusing. How can the universe be slowing down if the popular science headlines say that it's “Accelerating”?

On one level, you can just say that it's a form of acceleration that has the effect of reducing the rate of decline of the Hubble Parameter over time. But the Hubble Parameter is still declining and the Hubble Sphere is still expanding as before...except just not as fast as they were before Dark Energy acceleration kicked in about 5 billion years ago."

Phyics111 said:
On a surface level...for someone who knows that the universe has been slowing down and that the Hubble Parameter has been decreasing over all the age of the universe...this is confusing. How can the universe be slowing down if the popular science headlines say that it's “Accelerating”?
Yes, it can be confusing, because even in technical writings "expansion rate" is sometimes used interchangeably for the Hubble value H and the time derivative of the scale factor, da/dt. On this Forum (at least), we found consensus by naming H(t) the expansion rate and V_generic = aH(t) the recession rate.
H(t) has the same properties as an interest rate on investment - the "expansion rate of an investment".
V_generic, the red curve above, is the generic recession rate of a galaxy presently on the Hubble radius, hence presently receding at c.

Related to Understanding Dark Energy and the Accelerating Expansion of the Universe

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

2. How do we know dark energy exists?

Dark energy was first proposed as a solution to the observation that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This was confirmed by various experiments and observations, such as the measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distances of distant supernovae.

3. How does dark energy cause the accelerating expansion of the universe?

Dark energy is thought to have a negative pressure, which means it has a repulsive effect on matter and space. This repulsive force is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. Can we see or detect dark energy?

No, dark energy cannot be seen or detected directly. It does not interact with light or any other form of electromagnetic radiation, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. Its existence and effects are inferred from observations of the universe.

5. What are the implications of dark energy for the future of the universe?

If dark energy continues to dominate the universe, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue to accelerate, eventually causing all galaxies outside of our local group to become too far apart to be visible. This would lead to a "heat death" of the universe, where all energy is evenly distributed and no more work can be done.