Understanding Cross Sections and Lifetimes: Questions 3 and 4

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
In summary, the conversation is about a request for help with questions 3 and 4 in an attached file. The equations involved include the flux, mass, density, and speed of an iron nucleus, as well as the number of events and particles, and the number of scattered neutrinos. The other questions are described as "plug-and-calculate" and not difficult. For question 4, the person is struggling with finding a constant to eliminate the dimensions of energy in the cross section. For question 3, they are unsure about how to answer it.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In the attached file, I need some help with questions 3 and 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 4, I get the next answers:
a. The flux is given by:
[tex]f=\frac{v_{\nu}\rho}{m}[/tex] where m is the mass of the iron nucleus, rho is the iron density and v_{\nu} is the nuetrino speed.

b. If I get this right then [tex]\frac{N_{events}}{N_{particles}}=\frac{\sigma_{\nu}f dx}{v_{\nu}}[/tex], and the number of scattered nuetrinos is N(x) times this fraction, i.e:
[tex] dN= \frac{\sigma_{\nu}f dx}{v_{\nu}}N[/tex].

c. easy as well, just identifying the above constant minus a sign with lambda.

d. Here is where I am findining it hard, I need to multiply sigma_{\nu} with some constant in order to eliminate the dimensions of energy in this cross section, I don't know how to do it, any hints as to how reconcile this?

The other questions are plug-and-calculate which aren't hard.

For question 3, I am not sure how to answer this question, any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attachment.

Attachments

• ex1-2010.pdf
    29.1 KB · Views: 292

Related to Understanding Cross Sections and Lifetimes: Questions 3 and 4

1. What is a cross section in science?

A cross section in science refers to the area of a surface or object that is intersected by a plane. In physics, it is commonly used to describe the probability of a particle interacting with another particle or object.

2. How is cross section related to lifetime?

The cross section of a particle can be used to calculate its lifetime, as it provides information about the likelihood of the particle interacting with other particles in its environment. The higher the cross section, the shorter the particle's lifetime is expected to be.

3. What are the units of cross section?

Cross section is typically measured in units of area, such as square meters, square centimeters, or barns (a unit commonly used in nuclear physics). It can also be expressed in terms of energy, such as electron volts (eV) or megaelectron volts (MeV).

4. How is cross section measured?

Cross section is measured experimentally by colliding particles or atoms with a known number of target atoms and measuring the number of interactions that occur. It can also be calculated theoretically using mathematical equations and models.

5. What factors affect the cross section of a particle?

The cross section of a particle can be affected by a variety of factors, including its energy, size, and composition. The type of interaction being studied (such as scattering or absorption) can also impact the cross section measurement.