Understanding Covariant Derivatives Along a Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a connection as taking in two vector fields and outputting a vector field. However, when discussing covariant derivatives along a curve, there is an equation that includes a tangent vector which is confusing. The speaker asks for clarification on this and the response confirms that the right hand side is the same as the absolute derivative, where the value at a point depends only on the value of the vector field at that point.
eok20
I'm teaching myself about connections and came across something I am not completely sure about. The text I am using defines a connection as taking in two vector fields and outputting a vector field. However, later when discussing covariant derivatives along a curve I see this equation:

[tex]
D_t V(t) = \nabla_{\dot{\gamma}(t)} W,
[/tex]

where V is a vector field along the curve [tex]\gamma[/tex], W is an extension field of V, [tex]\nabla[/tex] is the connection and D_t takes in a vector field along [tex]\gamma[/tex] and gives a vector field along [tex]\gamma[/tex].

I understand that the left hand side is the value of the vector field D_t V at time t (a tangent vector at [tex]\gamma(t)[/tex]). However, the right hand side is confusing me since [tex]\dot{\gamma}(t)[/tex] is a tangent vector at [tex]\gamma(t)[/tex] and not a vector field. Since the value of a covariant derivative at a point p depends only on the value at p of the vector field we are differentiating along, is the right hand side the same as [tex](\nabla_X W) (\gamma(t))[/tex] where X is any vector field such that [tex]X(\gamma(t)) = \dot{\gamma}(t)[/tex]?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Understanding Covariant Derivatives Along a Curve

1. What is a covariant derivative along a curve?

A covariant derivative along a curve is a mathematical concept that describes how a vector field changes as it is transported along a given curve. It takes into account the curvature of the curve and the varying orientation of the coordinate system along the curve.

2. How is a covariant derivative along a curve different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while a covariant derivative along a curve measures the rate of change of a vector field with respect to the varying coordinates along the curve.

3. What is the significance of understanding covariant derivatives along a curve?

Understanding covariant derivatives along a curve is important in many fields of science, including physics and engineering. It allows us to properly describe the behavior of vector fields in curved spaces, which is essential in fields such as general relativity and fluid mechanics.

4. How are covariant derivatives along a curve calculated?

The calculation of covariant derivatives along a curve involves taking into account the Christoffel symbols, which represent the curvature of the coordinate system, and the directional derivative along the curve. The resulting formula can be used to calculate the covariant derivative of a vector field at any point along the curve.

5. What are some real-world applications of covariant derivatives along a curve?

Covariant derivatives along a curve are used in a variety of applications, including navigation systems, weather forecasting, and image processing. They are also crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in curved space-time in general relativity, and in the study of fluid flow in curved pipes or channels.