Understanding Conformal Time & Lorentzian Manifolds: A Layman's Guide

In summary, conformal time is a way to describe how events happen in a spacetime that is not uniform in time. It relies on the concept of sequence of events, and can be used to describe situations where there is no clock or other standard measuring device.
palmer eldtrich
Can anyone give a laymans explanation of conformal time in relativity? I tried to read Roger Penrose's book but I found it hard to grasp.Thanks in advance .
Also is a Lorentzian manifold different to a conformal manifold? A laymans explanation would also be much apprecitaed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen:
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?109683-quot-Conformal-Time-quot-definition-for-a-layperson

Likes palmer eldtrich
wow that's a very clear explanation, thanks. The chess board analogy is very helpful. Interestingly the previous questioner was But I am still trying to get my head round how there is a before or after in conformal time if there are no clocks due o no massive particles. IF i stick with the chessboard analogy, imagine I watch he game of chess sped up or slowed down, the moves of the game still happen in a certian order, no mater what speed the game is played at. If partciles are massless hey see the game sped up to infintley fast speeds but he sequence doesn't change? Is that right or I have muddled this?

palmer eldtrich said:
If partciles are massless hey see the game sped up to infintley fast speeds but he sequence doesn't change?

"Infinitely fast speed" is not correct; what is correct is that the concept of "speed" has no meaning for photons. But the concept of "sequence of events" still does. For example, consider a light ray A moving in the positive ##x## direction, and two light rays B and C moving in the negative ##x## direction. Even though, if all we look at is the light rays, we have no way of defining "time" or "speed", the order in which A crosses B and C (B first, then C, or C first, then B) is still well-defined (only one of the two possible orders can be true).

Hi Peter, thansk for that. So to stick with the chess board analogy, you can still record the chess game as a definite sequence of moves even if you can't specify how long each event was? Should we think of conformal time as something like that? So if there are only massless particles, there is still conformal time ( the sequence of moves , but not poper time , how much time has elapsed between the moves).

palmer eldtrich said:
So to stick with the chess board analogy, you can still record the chess game as a definite sequence of moves even if you can't specify how long each event was? Should we think of conformal time as something like that?

Yes.

palmer eldtrich said:
So if there are only massless particles, there is still conformal time ( the sequence of moves , but not poper time , how much time has elapsed between the moves).

Not quite. In order to even define a sequence of moves with only massless particles, you need massless particles that are moving in different directions, so that they intersect; the intersections are the "moves". (You can see that in the example I gave.) But it turns out that, if you have a network of massless particles moving in different directions, you can construct timelike intervals out of them, which means you can construct a notion of proper time out of them.

For example, in the scenario I described in my previous post, if we add a second light ray, D, moving in the positive ##x## direction, then we have four intersections ("moves" or events): AB, AC, DB, DC. We assume that the orderings are "AB then AC", and "DB then DC". Then the pair of events "AB, DC" defines a timelike interval, and the pair of events "DB, AC" defines a spacelike interval.

I haven't read enough about Penrose's model, the one discussed in the linked post, to know how all this affects it, if at all.

Related to Understanding Conformal Time & Lorentzian Manifolds: A Layman's Guide

1. What is conformal time and how is it different from regular time?

Conformal time is a measure of the distance traveled by light in a particular space-time, while regular time is a measure of the progression of events. Conformal time is important in cosmology as it allows us to compare events that occurred at different points in time and space.

2. What is a Lorentzian manifold?

A Lorentzian manifold is a mathematical concept used to describe the geometry of space-time in the theory of general relativity. It is a type of manifold that incorporates both space and time dimensions, and is characterized by its metric, which determines the distance between two points in space-time.

3. How does conformal time relate to the expansion of the universe?

Conformal time is directly related to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the distance between objects increases, which means that it takes longer for light to travel between them. This results in an increase in conformal time.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding conformal time and Lorentzian manifolds?

Understanding conformal time and Lorentzian manifolds is crucial for making accurate predictions about the behavior of the universe and for developing theories about the structure of space-time. It also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology and satellite communications.

5. Is it possible for a layperson to understand conformal time and Lorentzian manifolds?

While it may seem like complex and abstract concepts, it is possible for a layperson to understand the basics of conformal time and Lorentzian manifolds with some effort and dedication. Many resources, such as books and online articles, are available for those interested in learning more about these concepts.