Understanding Coherent Interaction in Dicke Model

In summary, the physical meaning of coherent interaction in the Dicke model refers to the interaction of N atomic dipoles with an electromagnetic field while in phase with each other. This means that the dipoles respond in the same way and have the same time evolution, rather than having varying phase differences in their responses.
lfqm
Hi! I would really appreciate you to help me answer this question:

What is the physical meaning of coherent interaction (in the Dicke model for example)?

I mean, coherence is well defined in classical optics, but what does it means when you ask for a system of N atomic dipoles to interact coherently with an electromagnetic field? :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure but I suppose it means that the N dipoles are all interacting with the field while in phase with each other.

I don't know about the Dicke model, as I'm struggling to understand Dickes papers, but for a system interacting with field :
E=A cos(kx-ωt)
Assume that the wavelength of E is large enough that all N dipoles see ~ the same E,
so
E=A cos(ωt)
Then coherent if the response of the dipoles is the same and has the same time evolution,
Dipole 1 has moment
P1 = e cos(ωt)
Same as dipole 2
P2= e cos(ωt)
If they interacted incoherently then
P2= e cos(ωt + p(t))
Where p(t) is some time varying phase difference in the dipoles responce.

Related to Understanding Coherent Interaction in Dicke Model

1. What is the Dicke model?

The Dicke model is a theoretical framework used to study the coherent interaction between a large number of two-level systems and an electromagnetic field. It was proposed by American physicist Robert Dicke in 1954 as a simplified version of the Jaynes-Cummings model.

2. What is coherent interaction in the Dicke model?

Coherent interaction refers to the exchange of energy and information between the two-level systems and the electromagnetic field in a coordinated manner. This means that the systems and the field are in phase, resulting in a strong and well-defined interaction.

3. How is the Dicke model used in research?

The Dicke model has been extensively used in the study of quantum optics, quantum information processing, and quantum phase transitions. It is also used to investigate the dynamics of complex systems, such as quantum dots and ultracold gases.

4. What is the significance of the Dicke model in quantum physics?

The Dicke model provides a simple yet powerful tool for understanding the collective behavior of a large number of quantum systems. It has allowed researchers to gain insights into phenomena such as superradiance and self-organization, which are crucial for the development of quantum technologies.

5. Can the Dicke model be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, the Dicke model has been successfully applied to various real-world systems, such as semiconductor materials, trapped ions, and superconducting circuits. Its predictions have been confirmed through experimental observations, making it a valuable tool for studying the behavior of complex quantum systems.