Understanding Classical & Quantum Coherence in Optics

In summary, second-order coherence allows for distinguishing between different types of light fields and provides information about the underlying photon number distribution. Quantum coherent states have all orders of correlation functions equal to unity, indicating a classical-like regime. They are defined as such because they exhibit properties of classical light fields and are easier to measure in terms of correlation functions.
valleyman
Hello all, I'm studying classical and quantum coherence in optics and I can't understand what's the physical meaning of second order coherence. I mean, what's the fundamental difference between it and the first order one? I know they are defined differently but I can't see in which case and why it could give more info than 1st order (exception made for recognizing if the light beam is classical or quantum). And, regarding this, what are, physically, quantum coherent states? why are they defined so? The common answer could be "because they are all orders coherent" but what does it mean?
Sorry for all those questions but I'm really confused:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
valleyman said:
I mean, what's the fundamental difference between it and the first order one? I know they are defined differently but I can't see in which case and why it could give more info than 1st order (exception made for recognizing if the light beam is classical or quantum).

This is already a huge difference, isn't it? First-order coherence basically gives you the coherence time or length. Second-order coherence allows to distinguish between several kinds of light fields (coherent, quantum, thermal). It gives you some information about the underlying photon number distribution of your light field. However, as this distribution is difficult to measure directly as detectors are never ideal, it is easier to measure the variance and other normalized higher order moments of the probability distribution in terms of the second- and higher-order correlation functions.

Alternatively you can interpret [tex]g^{(n)}(\tau)[/tex] as the relative probability to detect a photon at a time delay tau after a first one was detected, normalized to the mean photon detection rates at the corresponding times. As you said this allows to distinguish quantum light (detection of a photon lowers the probability to detect another one directly afterwards), thermal light (detection of a photon increases the probability to detect another one directly afterwards) and coherent light (detection of a photon does not alter the probability to detect another one directly afterwards).

valleyman said:
And, regarding this, what are, physically, quantum coherent states? why are they defined so? The common answer could be "because they are all orders coherent" but what does it mean?
Sorry for all those questions but I'm really confused:confused:

Well, it indeed means that all orders of correlation functions are unity valued. That also usually means that your photon numbers will be Poisson-distributed which is the distribution of statistically independent events. It also means that your mean photon pair count rates factorize into the product of the mean single photon count rates at the same times which was the criterion for coherence that Glauber introduced.
It also means that you are working in a regime which is as classical as it gets. If g2 is 1 that means that the detection of a photon does not give you more information about the light field and does not increase or decrease the probability to detect others afterwards. This is rather close to the classical limit, in which you assume that a measurement does not change the examined system.

I really have to thank you, I'm not still sure about it but your simple explanation has opened me a world :D I'll keep studying, maybe the fog is clearing, thanks again

Related to Understanding Classical & Quantum Coherence in Optics

1. What is coherence in optics?

Coherence in optics refers to the property of light waves that allows them to maintain a stable phase relationship with each other. This means that the peaks and troughs of the waves are aligned and can interfere constructively or destructively, creating patterns of light and dark areas.

2. What is the difference between classical and quantum coherence?

Classical coherence refers to the behavior of classical (or macroscopic) light waves, where the intensity and phase of the waves can be described by classical physics. Quantum coherence, on the other hand, involves the behavior of individual photons and requires a quantum description to fully understand.

3. How is coherence measured in optics?

Coherence is typically measured using interference experiments, where the interference pattern created by two coherent light sources is observed. The visibility of the interference pattern can be used to quantify the degree of coherence between the two sources.

4. Why is coherence important in optics?

Coherence is essential for many applications in optics, such as holography, interferometry, and imaging. It allows for the manipulation and control of light waves, leading to advances in technologies like telecommunications and laser technology.

5. How does decoherence affect quantum coherence in optics?

Decoherence is the loss of coherence in a quantum system due to interactions with the environment. In optics, decoherence can cause the loss of quantum effects, making the system behave classically. It is an important factor to consider in quantum optical experiments and can also be used to control the coherence of light waves.