Understanding Circular Orbits and Central Forces and Explanation

Therefore, the force must be of this form for the particle to have a circular orbit passing through the force center. This also means that the potential energy at this point will be at a minimum, making the orbit stable.In summary, for a particle to have a circular orbit passing through the force center, the attractive central force must be of the form k/r^5. This also means that the potential energy at this point will be at a minimum, making the orbit stable.
fahd
central forces-please chek answer!

hello...
i have this question in my classical mechanics book and was wondering if some one could help me?

the question says that there is a particle of mass "m" that is moving under an attractive central force F=k/r^5 where k<0
show that the particles orbit is circular and this particle aslo passes through the force centre?

Answer) what i did was that i said that in order for the orbit to be circular, the minimum potential ebergy should be equal to the total energy at that point,,
finding the equilibrium points, the only equilibrium point that made the potential energy minimum was r=0 and this value gave the minimum value of p.e as infinity...is this approach right! please help...also please tell me how do we know which central force leads to what kind of an orbit!
please replyn soon..
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fahd, One way to do this, is to show that for a particle to move in a circular orbit passing through the force center, the attractive force must be of the form k/r^5.

If the particle is moving in a circle of radius [itex] R[/itex] passing through the force center , then the distance of the particle [itex] r [/itex] to the force center as a function of [itex] \theta [/itex] will be [itex] r=2R \cos\theta [/itex] (From the property that an angle in a semicircle is a right angle) where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the polar angle

Once you have this relation, can you figure out how you can find the Force as a function of [itex] r [/itex]? (Hint: Try using the differential equation which relates [itex] u [/itex] and [itex] F [/itex] where [itex] u=\frac{1}{r} [/itex] and F is the force.

If you solve for F, you will get F as k/r^5.

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Circular Orbits and Central Forces and Explanation

1. What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards or away from a fixed point, known as the center. This center can be a point in space, such as the center of the Earth, or it can be a fixed object, such as the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is a central force different from other types of forces?

A central force differs from other types of forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces, because it always acts towards or away from a fixed point. Other forces, on the other hand, can act in any direction.

3. What are some examples of central forces?

Some examples of central forces include the force of gravity, which acts towards the center of mass of an object, and the tension force, which acts towards the center of a string or rope.

4. How do central forces affect the motion of objects?

Central forces can affect the motion of objects by causing them to move in a circular or elliptical path around the center point. The strength and direction of the central force can also determine the speed and direction of the object's motion.

5. Are central forces always attractive or can they also be repulsive?

Central forces can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the situation. For example, the force of gravity is an attractive central force that pulls objects towards the center of mass, while the electric force between two like-charged particles is a repulsive central force that pushes them away from each other.