Understanding Chemical Kinetics: Troubleshooting Common Questions in the Lab

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their kinetics lab. They have three questions that they are struggling to understand: determining the order with respect to HCl and Sodium Thiosulfate, and why the rate values in their experiment are not accurate for calculating k. They provide a link to tables and mention making a graph for problems 1 and 2. They are unsure about what to do after creating the graph and are seeking assistance.
AC24
I am having a problem with my kinetics lab. There are just three questions I can not understand.
1. Determine the order with respect to HCl. Explain.
2. Determine the order with respect to Sodium Thiosulfate. Explain.
3. Why rate values for this experiment not adequate to achieve an accurate value for k?

It was a lab with two tables, and the tables are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49735742@N03/4564031555/sizes/o/"

No equations.. Just explaining.

I made a graph for problems 1 and 2, Rate (1/time) vs [HCl]0.. Am I going the right direction? What would I do after that? I have no idea for question 3.. I sincerely thank those that take the time to read and help. your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please can someone help?

Related to Understanding Chemical Kinetics: Troubleshooting Common Questions in the Lab

1. What is the purpose of a Chemical Kinetics lab?

The purpose of a Chemical Kinetics lab is to study the rate at which a chemical reaction occurs, as well as the factors that influence the rate. This information is important in understanding and controlling chemical reactions in various applications.

2. What are the main components of a Chemical Kinetics experiment?

The main components of a Chemical Kinetics experiment include reactants, a reaction vessel, a temperature control system, a mixing mechanism, and a way to measure the reaction rate (such as a spectrophotometer or a stopwatch).

3. How do you determine the order of a reaction in a Chemical Kinetics lab?

The order of a reaction can be determined by analyzing the relationship between the concentration of reactants and the rate of the reaction. This can be done through various methods, such as the initial rate method or the integrated rate laws.

4. What are the safety precautions to keep in mind during a Chemical Kinetics lab?

Some safety precautions to keep in mind during a Chemical Kinetics lab include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, handling chemicals carefully and following proper disposal procedures, and being aware of potential hazards such as fire or chemical reactions.

5. How can data be analyzed in a Chemical Kinetics lab?

Data from a Chemical Kinetics lab can be analyzed by calculating reaction rates, plotting concentration vs. time graphs, determining the order and rate constant of the reaction, and comparing results to theoretical predictions or previous studies.