Understanding Charge Distribution in Capacitors: One Plate or Both?

In summary: Charge on one plate is equal to charge on the other plate .In summary, the conversation discusses the use of area when working with capacitors and how to calculate the charge on each plate. It is determined that in a parallel plate capacitor, the charge on one plate is equal to the charge on the other plate. The conversation also includes two sample questions and their solutions regarding the calculation of charge on each plate.
chopnhack
Hello all,

I have a simple question about capacitors. We are learning about them in class and in some questions, I seem to come up with different answers than the solution sets, always by 2. I apparently am using the area of each plate in a capacitor to derive my results.

My question is when working with capacitors, does one use the area of one electrode or both?

I expected to use both as I believe there would be charge density on both electrodes.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
chopnhack said:
My question is when working with capacitors, does one use the area of one electrode or both?

Area of one plate .

Likes chopnhack
Vibhor said:
Area of one plate .
Can anyone explain why? Is it possibly because charge migrates to one side with the other side simply being polarized, but not conducting? I seem to recall that there is no flow through the capacitor, rather a push and pull if you will, on either side.

Area of a parallel plate capacitor comes in picture while deriving its capacitance . Charge density is given by Charge on one plate divided by area of that plate .

Likes chopnhack
Vibhor said:
Area of a parallel plate capacitor comes in picture while deriving its capacitance . Charge density is given by Charge on one plate divided by area of that plate .
It's a bit tricky. So when calculating capacitance, if we are offered the total area of both plates, we would need to divide by 2?

Here are two sample questions that I have answered correctly according to the answer guide:

A 15-pF capacitor has a potential difference of 1.50 V between its plates. What is the magnitude of charge on each plate?
A: 2.25x10-11C

But the question asks for the charge of each plate, the above was calculated using Q=C*V - is this not the total charge of the capacitor? Shouldn't the answer then be half of this? or does this go back to what you were saying, use one plate?

An electric field of 2.8 × 105 V.m-1 exists between two parallel plates each of area 21.0 cm2 and separated by 0.25 cm of air. What is the charge on each plate?
A: 5x10-9C

In this case I used σ = E ⋅ εo and took the surface charge density and multiplied it by the air gap to get the total charge.

Sorry, if I am being thick, I just want to be clear on this before proceeding in my studies.
Thanks!

chopnhack said:
But the question asks for the charge of each plate, the above was calculated using Q=C*V - is this not the total charge of the capacitor? Shouldn't the answer then be half of this? or does this go back to what you were saying, use one plate?

Charge means magnitude of charge on one plate .

In a parallel plate capacitor the sum of charges on inside faces sums up to zero .

Likes berkeman and chopnhack

Related to Understanding Charge Distribution in Capacitors: One Plate or Both?

1. What is the total area of a capacitor?

The total area of a capacitor is the combined surface area of both its plates. This includes the area of the metal plates themselves as well as any surface area between the plates that is covered by the dielectric material.

2. How is the total area of a capacitor calculated?

The total area of a capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the plates. If the plates are circular, the area can be calculated using the formula: A = πr2, where r is the radius of the plates.

3. Does the total area of a capacitor affect its capacitance?

Yes, the total area of a capacitor directly affects its capacitance. A larger area means that there is more space for electric charge to accumulate, resulting in a higher capacitance value. Conversely, a smaller area will result in a lower capacitance value.

4. How does the total area of a capacitor impact its energy storage capacity?

The total area of a capacitor is directly proportional to its energy storage capacity. A larger area means that the capacitor can store more charge and therefore, more energy. This is because the energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance value.

5. Can the total area of a capacitor be changed?

Yes, the total area of a capacitor can be changed by altering the size, shape, or distance between the plates. This can be done by using different materials, changing the dimensions of the plates, or adding a dielectric material between the plates. However, once a capacitor is manufactured, its total area cannot be changed.